Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command x is not working

why command x is not working for me?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 9:45 PM

I’ll assume the other command shortcut chords all work (Command V and Command C, etc), which usually means the command key is working and hasn’t been remapped. I’ll also assume that the X key works by itself.

Check in the keyboard settings to see if the sequence has been re-mapped.

Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac - Apple Support

If a keyboard shortcut doesn’t work on Mac - Apple Support

If the above fails, force-quit Finder, and reset bothh the SMC and NVRAM, and see if that clears this.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2021 9:45 PM in response to aroshi1127

I’ll assume the other command shortcut chords all work (Command V and Command C, etc), which usually means the command key is working and hasn’t been remapped. I’ll also assume that the X key works by itself.

Check in the keyboard settings to see if the sequence has been re-mapped.

Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac - Apple Support

If a keyboard shortcut doesn’t work on Mac - Apple Support

If the above fails, force-quit Finder, and reset bothh the SMC and NVRAM, and see if that clears this.

Jun 16, 2021 9:38 PM in response to aroshi1127

aroshi1127 Said:

"Command x is not working: why command x is not working for me?"

-------

It wouldn't work of every app (i.e. TV)

So, where to start:

A. Single Out this User:

For temporary use and troubleshooting purposes, create a new Administrator User, seeing if you still ge that error. If so, then it is likely an issue with the current user itself. Once determined to be an option, delete this Administrator User.

B. Reset SMC and your NVRAM Thrice:

Sometimes, changes (i.e. Update Installations) are made, and then settings (i.e. keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both. Note that this may take three tries just to reset them successfully. It may take some time to perform this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Use these Links:

Command x is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.