Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow and Beachballing 2015 MBP after updating to Big Sur 11.4

I have an early 2015 13" MBP with 16gb Ram running Big Sur 11.4 and since the update, it constantly runs slow and beach balls a lot of the time.

The main apps I am using is Safari and BiglyBT, with Back Up and Sync (google drive) running in the background.

I know Objective See apps (Lulu or oversight) had a problem with one of the previous updates but that's now fixed, google drive was indexing a lot but that's improved after talking with google one and deleting the previous drive. Also made sure there is no chrome files left.

But the MBP is constantly slow, I've reinstalled Bir Sur, done the usual SMC and PRAM reset, checked the activity monitor settings. The memory pressure in green, so no problem there. CPU is 70% idle. Changed the DNS settings and that's fine.

And EtreCheck Pro says there is no major problems, the SSD is showing no problems in Drive DX. And I have 300gb of free space, so that's not slowing it down.

So I'm at a loss.

It's either wait and hope 11.5 in a few weeks will solve it or downgrade back to Catalina.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix it?

And here is the EtreCheck results.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 3:42 AM

More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed. More than Zero it too many AV Software. Remove as per Specific Developers Instructions.

1 - Effective defenses against malware and other threats

2 - Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

3 - There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 3:42 AM in response to scornish76

More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed. More than Zero it too many AV Software. Remove as per Specific Developers Instructions.

1 - Effective defenses against malware and other threats

2 - Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

3 - There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

Jun 17, 2021 12:45 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi P. Phillips,

Thank you for your help, I did question it as I thought it wouldn't help.

But uninstalling Malwarebytes, sped up the MBP immediately.

So I've uninstalled the other Anti Virus apps as well as ones I no longer use.

Restarted it and it's back to how it was as there isn't the lag anymore.

So even thought it wasn't running, something in Malwarebytes is just sitting on the system, even if it doesn't show in Activity Monitor.

But thankfully it's solved, so thanks again for your help

Slow and Beachballing 2015 MBP after updating to Big Sur 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.