Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DominantPartitiond removal

My MacBook air is Intel based. I get "Dominant Partitiond will damage your computer: EVERY TIME I boot up. I have run multiple virus/malware removal tools (free and purchased) and they say that no malware is detected.

BUT, I will get this message every time I boot up.

Can this deeply buried software be removed by doing total backup and then erasing entire MacBook, and then reinstall everything?

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 4:42 PM

DominantPartition is an adware-type app with browser hijacking traits. This application operates by running intrusive advertisement campaigns and making changes to browser settings - in order to promote fake search engines and are typically are distributed through download/installation setups of other programs.

You are correct that this malware/adware does imbed itself into your system. AFAIK, the following are where they are installed:

• ~/Library/Application Support/.[random_string]/Services/com.DominantPartition.service.app
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.DominantPartition.service.plist
  • /Library/Application Support/.[random_string]/System/com.DominantPartition.system
  • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.DominantPartition.system.plist

I'm surprised none of the freeware/paid anti-malware apps did not detect this. Per chance did you try using Etrecheck?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 4:42 PM in response to PaulRaySRB

DominantPartition is an adware-type app with browser hijacking traits. This application operates by running intrusive advertisement campaigns and making changes to browser settings - in order to promote fake search engines and are typically are distributed through download/installation setups of other programs.

You are correct that this malware/adware does imbed itself into your system. AFAIK, the following are where they are installed:

• ~/Library/Application Support/.[random_string]/Services/com.DominantPartition.service.app
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.DominantPartition.service.plist
  • /Library/Application Support/.[random_string]/System/com.DominantPartition.system
  • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.DominantPartition.system.plist

I'm surprised none of the freeware/paid anti-malware apps did not detect this. Per chance did you try using Etrecheck?

DominantPartitiond removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.