Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving all files from an 2011 iMac running High Sierra to a new M1 Mac Mini running the latest OS

When I have tried to seek directions regarding how to move all of my apps, data files, photos, etc. from my old 2011 iMac to my new M1 Mac Mini the directions say to use the Migration Assistant but in those directions it says that my new Mac Mini will have it's newer OS replaced by the OS on my iMac and I don't see why that would be the way to go. Is there any other way to do it without having to downgrade my new Mac Mini and then upgrade it to Big Sur while I wait for Monterey. I have an up to date Time Machine copy of my startup disk.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 6:51 PM

You should be able to transfer all your content and settings from your iMac to your Mac mini using Migration Assistant.

When prompted while setting up your Mac mini, click to transfer content "From a Mac, Time Machine backup, or another startup disk." On your iMac, open Migration Assistant from Spotlight or the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

Your Mac mini will not have its version of macOS replaced by the version of macOS on your iMac. Macs with M1 are not compatible with versions of macOS older than macOS Big Sur. Migration Assistant moves the content and settings from your old Mac to your new Mac, but it doesn't touch the operating system itself, so your new Mac mini will continue to run macOS Big Sur, not macOS High Sierra.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 6:51 PM in response to James Mcbrayer

You should be able to transfer all your content and settings from your iMac to your Mac mini using Migration Assistant.

When prompted while setting up your Mac mini, click to transfer content "From a Mac, Time Machine backup, or another startup disk." On your iMac, open Migration Assistant from Spotlight or the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

Your Mac mini will not have its version of macOS replaced by the version of macOS on your iMac. Macs with M1 are not compatible with versions of macOS older than macOS Big Sur. Migration Assistant moves the content and settings from your old Mac to your new Mac, but it doesn't touch the operating system itself, so your new Mac mini will continue to run macOS Big Sur, not macOS High Sierra.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Moving all files from an 2011 iMac running High Sierra to a new M1 Mac Mini running the latest OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.