Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iMac with Big Sur OS. When I connect an external hard drive to back up I only have read permission. Is that normal

I have an iMac with Big Sur OS. When I connect an external hard drive to back up I only have read permission. Is that normal

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 6:56 AM

Thanks,

Lets try restarting in Safe Mode with no wired external peripherals (EHDs, printers, scanners etc.) connected. Then restart normally and re-test.

Use Safe Mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Similar questions

12 replies

Jun 17, 2021 9:56 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for replying. It is definitely formatted correctly as I have been in touch with the company who owns the product - WD My Passport for Mac. Thing is after formatting I do get "read and write permission" but as soon as I back up my iMac this changes to "read only". WD suggested I contact Apple as their systems are so secure. I don't have a problem with the "read only" permission as long as I am able to use the backup in an emergency!

Jul 13, 2021 10:50 PM in response to tbirdvet

Why? I have 2x previous external hard drives, and it never switched my backups to read only. Is this a new thing?

Since 2018, I've been able to use the same hard drive for Time Machine back ups, but also as a (very large) USB stick (where I can manually add files and folders onto it).

Is there a way I can change the settings for this to be the case? I can't rely solely on Time Machine for what I need external hard drives for...

Jul 14, 2021 11:24 AM in response to loyalcalypso

If the drive is dedicated to TM only then it is read only. If you have the drive partioned to also hold other files then that can be accessed. However, it is best practice to have a drive for TM only (dedicated) if for nothing else if the drive fails you will not have lost everything. You don not want all your eggs in one basket as the saying goes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.