Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i have to have/use siri with apple tv hd?

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 10:25 PM

Hello OldManOfTheCees,

According to this Apple Support article you may have the choice wither to use Siri or not during the setup process when making your language selection. Set up your Apple TV - Apple Support

"Choose your language, and turn on Siri"

Swipe on the Touch surface of your Apple TV Remote to find your language and country or region. To choose an option, click the Touch surface. If you choose the wrong language, press the Menu button to return to the previous screen.

If asked, choose whether to use Siri.

Learn more about how to use your Apple TV Remote. Or find out what to do if your Apple TV remote isn't working."

If you have already set up the Apple TV this is how to turn Siri off manually. Turn Siri on or off on Apple TV - Apple Support

"Turn Siri on or off

1. Open Settings  on Apple TV.
  2. Go to General > Siri, then turn Siri on or off."

I do find Siri very helpful with my Apple TV. I man no offense by this but I am also including some Siri ‘how to' links incase you are not using Siri in the best way for it to be helpful for you.

Talk to your Apple TV - Apple Support

Use Siri on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Other things you can ask Siri on Apple TV - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 10:25 PM in response to OldManOfTheCees

Hello OldManOfTheCees,

According to this Apple Support article you may have the choice wither to use Siri or not during the setup process when making your language selection. Set up your Apple TV - Apple Support

"Choose your language, and turn on Siri"

Swipe on the Touch surface of your Apple TV Remote to find your language and country or region. To choose an option, click the Touch surface. If you choose the wrong language, press the Menu button to return to the previous screen.

If asked, choose whether to use Siri.

Learn more about how to use your Apple TV Remote. Or find out what to do if your Apple TV remote isn't working."

If you have already set up the Apple TV this is how to turn Siri off manually. Turn Siri on or off on Apple TV - Apple Support

"Turn Siri on or off

1. Open Settings  on Apple TV.
  2. Go to General > Siri, then turn Siri on or off."

I do find Siri very helpful with my Apple TV. I man no offense by this but I am also including some Siri ‘how to' links incase you are not using Siri in the best way for it to be helpful for you.

Talk to your Apple TV - Apple Support

Use Siri on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Other things you can ask Siri on Apple TV - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2021 12:49 AM in response to OldManOfTheCees

I am glad to help. I happen to use Spectrum for my cable service as well. Here’s some info about that.

To be honest I don’t use the Spectrum TV app very much but I can confirm it is available in the Apple TV App Store. I tend to use the Apps for individual tv channels I want to watch. I have signed into Spectrum in the Apple TV settings so when I download an app for a TV channel the Apple TV will automatically sign in using my Spectrum subscription. Set up single sign-on with your TV provider on Apple TV - Apple Support

An additional benefit is the integration of Apps into the TV App and vise versa. This is sort of the new home app of Apple TVs because it will show you “Watch Next” recommendations from the app you use and you will likely have some sort of free trial to Apple TV+ which is Apple's original content subscription. Apple TV app at a glance - Apple Support

.Also, if you have a few favorite TV channels but don’t watch most of what is included in your cable subscription you may be able to save money by switching to use Apple Subscriptions for the specific channels you actually watch. Subscribe to Apple TV+ or an Apple TV channel in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Since you mention your age I also wanted to include some features you may be interested in using.

This is pretty much the only reason I use and recommend Siri for Apple TV: "Tip: You can speak user names and passwords. With the text entry field highlighted on screen, press and hold the Siri button on the remote, then speak letters, numbers, and symbols instead of using the onscreen keyboard. Say “uppercase” to indicate an uppercase letter. For more information, see Use Siri dictation on Apple TV.” In my opinion this is much easier than navigating the screen keyboard.

You can use a non-Apple remote to control an Apple TV. The standard Apple TV remote uses a touch surface to navigate which can lead to frustration for some. Use other remotes to control Apple TV - Apple Support If not, you can customize the touch surface sensitivity. Control the touch surface sensitivity on the Siri Remote - Apple Support.

On the flip side of that, the Apple TV remote “Siri Remote” has IR and network resources that allow control over most TVs. I have an older Sony “something or other” TV and use my Siri Remote to turn it on/off as will as control the volume.

Apple has a decent amount of Accessibility features available. Accessibility features on Apple TV - Apple Support

If you are anything like my father you may get complaints from those living with you about the volume you use to watch TV. He now has bluetooth headphones he uses which you could also have with an Apple TV. Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple TV - Apple Support

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to to check for specific apps or subscriptions just reply and I will be happy to assist.

Jun 17, 2021 10:45 PM in response to Scott-he-him

Thanks Scott-he-him. The reason I was asking is because I do not, as yet, own a smart phone or laptop or tablet, etc. I'm an old, old dinosaur hoping to resist these technologies till the end. There's too much information that doesn't really tell one anything when it comes to these things, which makes it difficult to even decide what piece of equipment to buy. Right now, all I'm trying to do is decide which Apple TV device to buy for a several-year-old Visio tv, so that I can run the Spectrum TV app.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.