Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I attach my 2015 Thunderbolt Monitor to a new 2021 MacBook Air with an adapter?

Can I attach my 2015 Thunderbolt Monitor to a new 2021 MacBook Air with an adapter? I am gettin conflicting information from searches.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 4:47 AM

Yes, the M1 chip in the 2020. It’s still on order. Thank you. I did confirm my monitor uses the Thunderbolt 2 and the MagSafe ends. I understand from further research that the MagSafe is not needed and I should be good to go with just the thunderbolt to USB-C.

5 replies

Jun 23, 2021 1:49 AM in response to FL-Grandma

You probably have the M1 2020 MacBook Air. As far as I know, there is no 2021 MacBook Air yet. For a thunderbold 2 display you need the “Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2” Adapter.

Note that “thunderbolt 2” and “mini display” ports looks identical, but they are not compatible. In case you buy a mini display adapter it won’t work.

Can I attach my 2015 Thunderbolt Monitor to a new 2021 MacBook Air with an adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.