Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus issue

Is a message that popped up on my MacBook Air that says "Download to connect your iPad to your Mac" a scam/virus ? I'm sure it is but I was in a rush and accidentally clicked it. If it is, how do I remove the virus and protect my info?

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 4:20 AM

There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

Suggest for your peace of mind downloading from a Trusted Developer and Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 4:20 AM in response to arielshira

There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

Suggest for your peace of mind downloading from a Trusted Developer and Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Jun 18, 2021 1:35 PM in response to arielshira

I don't know what it is either but it takes more than just clicking some random popup to get yourself into trouble.

There are no viruses that affect macOS, so don't ask for trouble by installing something claiming to fix whatever is wrong. Especially if nothing is wrong.

Other than mistakenly clicking something, is your Mac working properly?

Virus issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.