Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro displaying only vertical gray lines after Apple startup logo

I hope someone could help me with this. When I boot my MB Pro, Apple logo displays as usual, only with few additional pixels that should not be there. After that, the screen goes dark gray with vertical lines in lighter shades of grey. External screen works normally.

The problem appeared yesterday morning, disappeared all of sudden at some point in the afternoon for few hours, only to reappear in the evening.

Luckily I still have two weeks warranty left. But since I desperately need the laptop for work, it would be great to know in advance if they have to replace: a) the screen, b) screen cables; c) entire logic board, or something else?

The model is early 2020 MB Pro with two ports.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 9:48 AM

I'm sorry, but it is hard to say. Usually if the external display appears Ok, then the issue is limited to the laptop's built-in Display, however, these 2018+ laptops are very difficult to troubleshoot as they don't behave in the traditional manner all the time.

Make sure to have a good backup before taking it in for repair.

You should always have frequent and regular backups. It is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from an SSD after the Trash has been emptied plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs. In addition any 2018+ Macs with the T2 security chip or M1 CPU has even more ways to lose your data if any of the hardware has an issue that keeps the laptop from booting. Anything that corrupts the T2 security chip such as a simple OS update that goes wrong can cause you to lose permanently lose access to the data on the SSD unless you have a backup. Even an expensive professional data recovery service will not be able to help you since the data on the SSDs are hardware encrypted which requires a working T2 security chip and working Logic Board.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 9:48 AM in response to matti8201

I'm sorry, but it is hard to say. Usually if the external display appears Ok, then the issue is limited to the laptop's built-in Display, however, these 2018+ laptops are very difficult to troubleshoot as they don't behave in the traditional manner all the time.

Make sure to have a good backup before taking it in for repair.

You should always have frequent and regular backups. It is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from an SSD after the Trash has been emptied plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs. In addition any 2018+ Macs with the T2 security chip or M1 CPU has even more ways to lose your data if any of the hardware has an issue that keeps the laptop from booting. Anything that corrupts the T2 security chip such as a simple OS update that goes wrong can cause you to lose permanently lose access to the data on the SSD unless you have a backup. Even an expensive professional data recovery service will not be able to help you since the data on the SSDs are hardware encrypted which requires a working T2 security chip and working Logic Board.

Macbook pro displaying only vertical gray lines after Apple startup logo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.