Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty connecting to my older Airport Express station base (a1088)

Hi I have an older type of Apple Airport Express station Base (a1088) .I never used it before and now I do need to use it as we are in a bigger place,to improve the wi-fi signal . But my 3 portable devices ( laptop,IPad and IPhone can not connect to it. It says that the version of Airport Utility doesn’t support this station Base.

Is there a way that I can use this Station Base?

thanks in advance

Dime

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 5:40 AM

Unfortunately, the A1088 version of the AirPort Express does not have a setting to "Extend a wireless network", so it cannot provide more WiFi signal coverage if you are planning to have it connect using a wireless connection.

The A1088 could provider more WiFi coverage......although it would be very slow and long out of date security wise.......if the Express is connected to your router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

Unfortunately again though, this product was discontinued in the Spring of 2008, so Apple has not supported the product for many years. Unless you have a very old Mac using a very old operating system, you won't be able to configure the AirPort Express using a Mac. An iPhone or iPad cannot be used with this version of the AirPort Express.

However, if you or a friend have a PC, the Windows version of AirPort Utility might work if you download and install AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows. We say it "might" work because the software was designed to run on Windows 7 and Apple has not updated the application since it was introduced.

Download AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com › ...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 5:40 AM in response to dime65

Unfortunately, the A1088 version of the AirPort Express does not have a setting to "Extend a wireless network", so it cannot provide more WiFi signal coverage if you are planning to have it connect using a wireless connection.

The A1088 could provider more WiFi coverage......although it would be very slow and long out of date security wise.......if the Express is connected to your router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

Unfortunately again though, this product was discontinued in the Spring of 2008, so Apple has not supported the product for many years. Unless you have a very old Mac using a very old operating system, you won't be able to configure the AirPort Express using a Mac. An iPhone or iPad cannot be used with this version of the AirPort Express.

However, if you or a friend have a PC, the Windows version of AirPort Utility might work if you download and install AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows. We say it "might" work because the software was designed to run on Windows 7 and Apple has not updated the application since it was introduced.

Download AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com › ...

Difficulty connecting to my older Airport Express station base (a1088)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.