Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps close very quickly if you navigate from one app to another, then return to the first app

Since the last iPadOS update - 14.6 - it has become very cumbersome to switch between apps. If I’m working in one app, switch to another app - to copy some text from it, for example, then switch back to the first app, that first app has already closed, including closing files or content that was open initially. This happens even after being away from the first app for only 15 or 20 seconds. It makes it nearly impossible to be productive if you have to switch between apps and share content between them. It used to be a much longer period of time before apps would close and close their open content - a couple of minutes or so. Is there any way to change this? I want to throw my iPad at the wall!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 6:55 AM

For older iPad models with a Home button, do a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer, larger screen iPad models, without a Home button, try the new hard reset procedure for the new 2018/2020/2021 iPad Pros and the 2020 iPad Air 4 models.

1. Press and Release the Volume Up button.

2. Then immediately Press and Release the Volume Down button.

3. Then, Press and Hold the Power Button at the top. You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the Power Button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and iPad Pro/iPad Air will boot up completely to the iPad Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 6:55 AM in response to Syrinx2112

For older iPad models with a Home button, do a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer, larger screen iPad models, without a Home button, try the new hard reset procedure for the new 2018/2020/2021 iPad Pros and the 2020 iPad Air 4 models.

1. Press and Release the Volume Up button.

2. Then immediately Press and Release the Volume Down button.

3. Then, Press and Hold the Power Button at the top. You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the Power Button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and iPad Pro/iPad Air will boot up completely to the iPad Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

Jun 20, 2021 12:29 PM in response to Syrinx2112

Hello Syrinx2112.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing issues when switching apps on your iPad. To confirm, are apps closing on their own while switching apps and attempting to return the app you were originally using. If so, we can understand how this would be an issue. Allow us to investigate. When using apps, you should be able to access them as long as you don't close them. Certain apps might have security features built-in that might log you out after a certain amount of time not using that specific app, such as banks apps for example.

Is this issue occurring with all apps or just specific apps? How are you switching between apps? Are you using hand gestures or App Switcher?

Switch between apps on iPad - Apple Support

If you restart your device, does this unique issue continue to occur?

Restart your iPad - Apple Support

Feel free to keep us posted.

Jun 20, 2021 3:06 PM in response to Vilas_S

I have tried multiple ways to switch between apps. It happens regardless of the method to switch apps. A task I typically perform is to create a Facebook post with content from Microsoft Excel, a Notes document, the YouTube app, and the Spotify app. Prior to the most recent iOS upgrade, the apps would stay open as a switched back and forth, even if I was away from one app for a couple of minutes. Every once in a while, an app would close after several minutes. Recently, though, if I switch off of an app for even 10 or 15 seconds, it has closed by the time I return to the app. It has become so frustrating that I am at the point of doing this activity in my computer, rather tha my iPad. It is too counterproductive to attempt these basic tasks any more.

Apps close very quickly if you navigate from one app to another, then return to the first app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.