Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro 13" crashes and restarts

I have been using a MacBook Pro M1 13" for last 6 months. And in that time period it has crashed thrice while browsing safari showing magenta patches with black background for some milliseconds and then restarts on its own.

I have updated my MacBook time to time then also its happened again. The recent one was long after the macOS Big Sur 11.4 update. What should I do ? What is wrong with my Mac?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 3:05 PM

Sounds like a hardware fault of some kind. The magenta patches and black background and sudden restart lean more toward hardware such as the M1 SoC with integrated GPU. You didn't mention seeing the typical kernel panic screen as below which is more indicative of a software issue.

Since it's new and under warranty, you should call Apple Support. They can help you run diagnostics and help you send the crash reports to them for review. If it's hardware, it's possible you got a lemon, they will replace it for free.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 3:05 PM in response to Gaurav_garg233

Sounds like a hardware fault of some kind. The magenta patches and black background and sudden restart lean more toward hardware such as the M1 SoC with integrated GPU. You didn't mention seeing the typical kernel panic screen as below which is more indicative of a software issue.

Since it's new and under warranty, you should call Apple Support. They can help you run diagnostics and help you send the crash reports to them for review. If it's hardware, it's possible you got a lemon, they will replace it for free.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

M1 MacBook Pro 13" crashes and restarts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.