Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra and Safari 13 - Safe to use on older MacBook Pro?

Hello community,

I have an older MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 running High Sierra and Safari 13. I am wondering if this machine is still safe to use with this OS and version of Safari since they are no longer receiving updates. I only use the machine for email (Mac Mail), word processing (Pages), and web browsing (Safari). I know the laptop is getting long in the tooth, but it's in great shape, everything works on it, and it has the high resolution matte screen which was an optional display at the time. It's slow due to the HDD and only 4GB of RAM, but I'm not gaming on it nor doing any video/photo editing. So, how secure is this machine going forward? Should I consider retiring it and upgrading? I've thought about replacing the HDD with a SSD and upgrading the RAM to 8GB, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble since it won't be getting any more software updates.

Unrelated question, but would an aging battery that doesn't hold a good charge cause any slowdown in this machine? At the very least, would that be worth replacing if I decide to keep using it? Thank you.

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 12:11 PM

Hello, aberrant_soul.

Very good questions all.

As you suspect, Safari and High Sierra will become potentially less and less secure as the MacBook Pro ages now, simply because Apple will no longer support them with continuous updates. Knowing that, you will just need to be more vigilant as you go about using your MBP from now on. Continue to be aware of threats out there on the internet and do you diligence to keep your system safe.

Regarding upgrading your MBP... IF you choose to do this I suggest you will get the best bang for the buck simply by upgrading from the internal HDD to an SSD. That alone will make your computer perform very much more quickly. You'd be surprised.

Upgrading the RAM from 4 to 8GB won't necessarily improve the performance, but might allow the macOS a little breathing room to operate. I suggest you replace the SSD first and see how you feel about the performance. It's likely that you won't feel a need to upgrade the RAM after that.

As for the battery, yes, it definitely sound like it's in need of replacement. An aging battery won't affect the performance of the computer beyond limiting the amount of time between rundowns and recharging.

If you're handy with a small repair toolkit and comfortable with doing your own maintenance, you can find the resources you need to do all of these upgrades by visiting these links to get started:

click> ifixit.com or

click> macsales.com

FYI... a battery will cost ~$80... SSD ~$50... and RAM ~$70. Prices will vary.

So, you decide if it's worth putting any money at all into this machine knowing that you're definitely looking at the late, late autumn of its lifespan. 🙂

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 12:11 PM in response to morsalmared210

Hello, aberrant_soul.

Very good questions all.

As you suspect, Safari and High Sierra will become potentially less and less secure as the MacBook Pro ages now, simply because Apple will no longer support them with continuous updates. Knowing that, you will just need to be more vigilant as you go about using your MBP from now on. Continue to be aware of threats out there on the internet and do you diligence to keep your system safe.

Regarding upgrading your MBP... IF you choose to do this I suggest you will get the best bang for the buck simply by upgrading from the internal HDD to an SSD. That alone will make your computer perform very much more quickly. You'd be surprised.

Upgrading the RAM from 4 to 8GB won't necessarily improve the performance, but might allow the macOS a little breathing room to operate. I suggest you replace the SSD first and see how you feel about the performance. It's likely that you won't feel a need to upgrade the RAM after that.

As for the battery, yes, it definitely sound like it's in need of replacement. An aging battery won't affect the performance of the computer beyond limiting the amount of time between rundowns and recharging.

If you're handy with a small repair toolkit and comfortable with doing your own maintenance, you can find the resources you need to do all of these upgrades by visiting these links to get started:

click> ifixit.com or

click> macsales.com

FYI... a battery will cost ~$80... SSD ~$50... and RAM ~$70. Prices will vary.

So, you decide if it's worth putting any money at all into this machine knowing that you're definitely looking at the late, late autumn of its lifespan. 🙂

Jun 20, 2021 12:11 PM in response to morsalmared210

I don't think the cybersecurity concerns should keep you from using the computer. We have modern computers and MacOS, but also have some obsolete ones, like a 2010 Macbook Air (High Sierra), 2008 iMac (El Capitan), 2013 Macbook Air (Catalina).

Yours is classified as "obsolete" by Apple. This is notable because this means that Apple no longer stocks parts for it nor services them. However some Apple authorized shops will continue to do so and you can still get some parts from places like OWC.

Personally, I would no longer invest further in this computer because the battery will cost $69 (from OWC), a new SSD will be $100-200 depending on capacity, and labor will be $50 (I know because I replaced the SSD and battery recently on our 2013 Macbook Air). And memory (parts and labor) will be another $100 or so. Meanwhile the hardware is probably wearing out due to age, wear on solder joints from thermal cycles, etc.; however the ports on your laptop are also very limiting, just USB 2 and a firewire and Thunderbolt 1 port, none of these are used much anymore and the USB 2 is very slow, and its WiFi is the older, slower kind. We decided to keep the 2013 Macbook Air mainly because it has two USB 3 ports, up to 10 Gb/s, and it can go to Big Sur. However our 2010 Macbook Air won't have anymore invested in it, it has only USB 2 and can't go past High Sierra. With High Sierra, already some web sites aren't fully functional and some emails don't display properly, even Apple's own App Store doesn't display fully (although it still works). You can't even run the latest version of TurboTax small business version on it nor the latest Adobe software nor the latest MS-Office.

So if you can afford it, I'd suggest getting a new M1 Mac. They start at a price that is just about three times what you would spend to replace the battery, HDD, and memory on the old laptop, and its speed will probably be 30x faster, maybe more. It also has the latest security and can run the latest software and has modern WiFi. It can even run iPhone apps.

Jun 20, 2021 12:46 PM in response to morsalmared210

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

I too have experienced some websites not working properly, and not being able to use certain software such as TurboTax is a bummer. Honestly, the main thing I like about this machine is the 15" matte display. It's not Retina, but it's still pretty sharp considering it has the high res upgrade. It looks like $200 would be better spent towards a new MacBook rather than upgrading this machine. I would prefer another 15" or larger display, but the 16" MacBook Pro is way too expensive. The M1 MacBook Air with a 13" display will have to do.

Jun 20, 2021 1:07 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Great help from 2 great helpers!

I'm a bit more of a Cave Dweller though, I use my 10.13.6 iMac Daily & have no problems. :)

Of course it has 24GB of RAM.

I can beat that, because our 2008 iMac (10.11) and 2010 Macbook Air (10.13) both have only their original 4 GB RAM (they do have SSDs). And they are both quite responsive, including Adobe Lightroom and MS-Office (the latest versions that run on their systems). Although I use the newer Macbook Pro 16-inch purchased a year ago for things that demand more computing power, the older ones work fine for most browsing and email (as does the 2013 Macbook Air (10.15) we have as well).

Having a 13-inch laptop is a plus in my view because sometimes hotel safes are small and the 16-inch model won't fit, the smaller ones usually do. The 2013 Macbook Air just got a new SSD and battery that are each much better than the original equipment so it's good to go for a while, it has USB 3 and 8 GB RAM (unlike the two older guys) so everything is pretty fast with it. I may put Big Sur on it now just to see how Big Sur goes as an OS.

I have a hard time disposing of older computers like these that are still working well. I find these Macs' design elegant and they are fun to have.

High Sierra and Safari 13 - Safe to use on older MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.