Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install OSX won't recognize any drives, and Disk Utility won't let me do anything?

Hi all,

So I'm trying to sell my old Mac Mini, but in the process of wiping the drives, I unfortunately forgot to install OSX before resetting.

Now, in internet recovery mode, I'm unable to do anything to these drives (all options are greyed out), and the install osx feature doesn't show any available drives to install on.

I've browsed google for the answers, and among other things, I see that people recommend I go to View and select show all drives - but I don't appear to have this option. I'm on a late 2012 Mac Mini, and I suspect the software might be outdated? Not sure, tho.

How can I get OSX installed in this thing so I can sell it? lol

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 3:11 PM

Hi mikeysantos,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

First, shut down the Mac. Then startup, but use Option-Command-R for Internet Recovery. (Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support)

Next, follow the steps here to erase your drive, How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support, then re-install macOS on it, How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

-Jack

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 3:11 PM in response to mikeysantos

Hi mikeysantos,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

First, shut down the Mac. Then startup, but use Option-Command-R for Internet Recovery. (Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support)

Next, follow the steps here to erase your drive, How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support, then re-install macOS on it, How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

-Jack

Install OSX won't recognize any drives, and Disk Utility won't let me do anything?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.