Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac is stuck on Auto, and I'm unable to select Dark Mode. Any clues?

My Mac is stuck on Auto, and I'm unable to select Dark Mode. Any clues? I'm using MAC OS 11.4

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 1:31 PM

Hi MC36,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. We're here to help.

We understand you're having trouble changing appearance settings from Auto to Dark. Happy to help with this

We see you came from the related article, 'How to use Dark Mode on your Mac.' This article is linked at the top of the page and is the best resource to review regarding Dark Mode. Just a few questions to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Have you been able to use dark mode on this Mac previously? What does it look like when you try to enable dark mode?

Does the issue persist after restarting the Mac?

Do you have any restrictions or administrative profiles that could be preventing settings from being changed?

One step that can be helpful in isolating the issue is to create a new user account on the Mac to test with. If the behavior does not occur on the new user account, this tells us a setting or application is impacting behavior on the existing user.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know if you are able to give this a try!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 1:31 PM in response to MC36

Hi MC36,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. We're here to help.

We understand you're having trouble changing appearance settings from Auto to Dark. Happy to help with this

We see you came from the related article, 'How to use Dark Mode on your Mac.' This article is linked at the top of the page and is the best resource to review regarding Dark Mode. Just a few questions to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Have you been able to use dark mode on this Mac previously? What does it look like when you try to enable dark mode?

Does the issue persist after restarting the Mac?

Do you have any restrictions or administrative profiles that could be preventing settings from being changed?

One step that can be helpful in isolating the issue is to create a new user account on the Mac to test with. If the behavior does not occur on the new user account, this tells us a setting or application is impacting behavior on the existing user.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know if you are able to give this a try!

Jun 21, 2021 8:08 PM in response to MC36

Hey MC36,

Thanks for following up.

Since it seems the issue is user specific, another thing we can do to isolate the issue is to see if it occurs in Safe Mode.

Start up your Mac in safe mode

The steps can be found in the article above, follow the appropriate steps for your Mac. A few resets may be applicable as well. If you have a Mac with an Intel processor, resetting the NVRAM and SMC may be helpful. If you have a Mac with Apple Silicon, no need for these steps.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Feel free to let us know the results of these steps.

Jun 21, 2021 7:32 PM in response to bailier

Hi, Thanks for your advice. I have been able to use Dark Mode previously, it was my default setting. A few days ago it suddenly defaulted to "Auto" and I am unable to change it back.

I did create another profile and was able to use Dark Mode. I have restarted the Mac several times combed through the preferences and settings, ran admin tasks, daily, weekly, monthly, a couple of times, and updated home permissions, but no avail.

Even reloaded Big Sur. No clue.

Any suggestions?

My Mac is stuck on Auto, and I'm unable to select Dark Mode. Any clues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.