Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to see 2nd subnet in Locations in Finder windows, and name devices?

I have a network on 10.0.1.*. I have a second subnet at 10.0.10.*. My Mac on 10.0.1.1 does not list the 10.0.10.* devices in its Locations list on the left side of the Finder windows - can it be made to do so? And, when I connect to those devices directly (using Command-K, connect to server), it lists them just by the IP address - is it possible to give them a proper name and have the appear with the name under Favorites?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 9:57 AM

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-network-locations-on-mac-mchlp1175/10.14/mac/10.14

should help you set it up as separate locations. Keep in mind, these are not automatic, and you need to choose the preferred location before connecting to any specific subnet.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 22, 2021 9:23 AM in response to Michael Levin

I have a single location with a single controller (Unifi Dream Machine Pro). I have 2 separate subnets (VLANs) on this router, to keep our internet-of-things devices from being able to connect to our other machines if they get hacked (the separate VLANs prevent our vulnerable devices from being a jumping-off point for intrusion). I have rules that let my Mac connect to the vulnerable devices' VLAN, but not in reverse. I want to be able to see these devices in my Finder windows and assign them reasonable names (they can be seen there by IP once I connect manually).

Jun 22, 2021 10:33 AM in response to a brody

so the only way is to change Location and get a different IP for the other subnet? So that way, I can only access one subnet at a time? Actually I can connect to the other subnet's devices now, from my main subnet, I just can't figure out how to assign them names - Finder windows only list the IP numbers. Would that be different if I changed Locations?

How to see 2nd subnet in Locations in Finder windows, and name devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.