Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine could not back up the disk “Macintosh HD - Data” because a snapshot of the disk could not be created.

Can't back up since upgrade

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:13 AM

See used and available storage space on your Mac Sometimes, TM Backup can not create a Local Snapshot because there is not Enough Empty Space on the Internal Drive to store the Snapshot until it is transferred to the TM Backup Drive.

6 replies

Jul 11, 2021 3:49 AM in response to Chestnutzki

I too erased the external hard drive (4 tb) that was working fine to do my Time Machine backups and also purchased a 10 tb external hard drive (seagate backup) and time machine gives me the same error message "Time Machine could not back up the disk “MacintoshHD - Data” because it is nearly full." I deleted my back ups when I erased my 4 tb hard drive and now I have no back ups at all. What else can I do?

Jun 22, 2021 12:01 AM in response to Chestnutzki

Hi Chestnutzki,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Please go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities), and select "View" > "Show All Devices" in Disk Utility.

Now, go down the list of devices in the left sidebar and take a screenshot of each device, including internal and your external Time Machine drive(s).

Next, upload all the screenshots here to Apple Support Communities in a post. (there should be at least 4 screenshots uploaded)

Resources:

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

-Jack

Time Machine could not back up the disk “Macintosh HD - Data” because a snapshot of the disk could not be created.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.