Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie unexpected quite

recently i have iMovie unexpected quite issue, when i want export the finished project. i reinstalled it, reboot, power off and hols option+command+R+P. remove all the decives except keyboard and moouse. but the problem is same, my iMovie is 10.2.4 and OS is Big Sur 11.4.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 9:13 AM

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Often this show us possible causes of problems.

Also: it has emerged that for many people affected by this problem recently, the preferred languages and/or location set in System Preferences->Language & Region can make the difference between crashing and not crashing... so: what languages do you have, and what is the selected location?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 9:13 AM in response to kennyL0

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Often this show us possible causes of problems.

Also: it has emerged that for many people affected by this problem recently, the preferred languages and/or location set in System Preferences->Language & Region can make the difference between crashing and not crashing... so: what languages do you have, and what is the selected location?

Jun 22, 2021 1:59 AM in response to kennyL0

If  iMovie starts behaving unexpectedly in any way for no apparent reason, the problem could be caused by corrupt preference files. 

The cure for this is to delete the preferences. 

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with sometimes no projects etc. on the interface. 

If your project doesn’t load automatically you will have to navigate to it and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

Jun 22, 2021 8:05 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian, thank you for the information. I tried this to hold cms+option, and deleted the preferences, it still same same issue. Even I reinstalled my OS, still same. Only one thing is work, I can create a test user, then iMovie is working. Even I created other user, still the same issue. I don’t know what’s happened with the user account??

Jun 22, 2021 6:22 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis, you are awsome!!! today Apple advisor call me for this problem, during the wating time. i try your method about language and Region. my previouse seeting is Chinese language and US Region. after i change to English language and US region. guess what, it's working, no quit!!!

i shared this to the Apple Advisor, hope they can record this issue and fixed it. coz my iMovie worked for 2 years, just crashed in this week. thank you !!!!

Jun 23, 2021 2:38 AM in response to Diana Rayan

"your" last update?

Just to clarify, this is a user forum. We are users like you. You are not talking to Apple.

Incidentally, what is your region?

And, just in case there is something else involved, you may want to run the diagnostic tool Etrecheck and post its report here.

Not everyone has the same problem, and the causes can be different.

Jun 23, 2021 2:49 AM in response to Diana Rayan

Did you try changing the location from Saudi Arabia to something else?

So far, everyone else that I have seen in these threads who have changed their location (from such diverse places as Panama or Thailand) to US reported that this "fix" worked.

I understand that this should not be necessary, but at least appears to be a workaround.

As a side note, not everyone outside US is seeing this problem. I, for one, am in Portugal and did NOT have to change the location, and have no crashes. It is still unclear why this happens, or why change appears to work.

Jun 23, 2021 5:11 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have no idea how to thank you. Apples support was calling me for the last four days, I had to format my computer, I was late on my submission and lost the main folder yet nothing worked!!! Now following your advice it worked within a second. Thank you for sharing and spending the time to reply here. Thank you so much.

Solution for me was:

Change the region to United States.

System preferences / Language & Region / General Tab / Region: United States from dropdown menu.

iMovie unexpected quite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.