Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB SuperDrive

Do you think Apple will ever update their "compatibility list" for the Apple USB SuperDrive Ref: 24” iMac (M1, 2021)?

It’s worth noting the Apple USB SuperDrive is compatible with the Mac mini (M1, 2020). I am reluctant to buy, as Apple, support, have provided contradictory advice on its compatible with my new 24” iMac 2021 (M1).

It would be great to hear, that a USB "C" SuperDrive is in the pipeline.

So frustrated !

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 8:38 AM

What is not compatible with the Apple USB SuperDrive?

I have that drive and an M1 iMac 2021. The drive works fine. All you would need is a USB C - USB A adapter to plug into one of the USB C ports on the back of the iMac.

Screenshot of System Preferences Big Sur 11.4

9 replies

Jun 22, 2021 8:55 AM in response to LucyRice

You can always send your feedback directly to Apple at www.apple.com/feedback. They read everything submitted however they do not answer you personally. I see now that you are located in the UK, so if you are interested in the offerings from OWC they do have many UK distributors. To find one please use the following link OWC Resellers

BTW, I am only a satisfied customer I am in no way affiliated with Macsales.com.

Aug 8, 2021 2:03 PM in response to LucyRice

I agree with rkaufmann87 about getting a 3rd party unit from OWC. The interface on them will be faster, they will be self powered to relieve power supply stress on the Mac. I haver this model for ripping audio books (burning is best at lower speeds): OWC Mercury Pro 24X Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive with M-DISC Support and it's less than the Apple Superdrive.

Jun 22, 2021 8:31 AM in response to LucyRice

Many experienced users prefer using a third party USB CD/DVD drive. I would recommend visiting www.macsales.com, if you are not familiar with them they specialize in Macs and only sell products that are tested to work with Macs. They also provide great service, extremely competitive pricing and will have something that should fit your needs easily. You can call them too and ask for a recommendation based on your needs. Here is a shortcut to the CD/DVD drive section:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives

USB SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.