Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iMac to other iMac for target display mode

I am trying to use target display mode to connect my new 2021 imac to my 2012 imac. I tried a USB C to Display port cable but didn't work. Do I need USB C to Thunderbolt cable? Thanks.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 1:25 PM

No can do, my friend. The Mac that you want to connect to the target iMac must have been released in 2019 or earlier and running Catalina or earlier.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Target display mode is a feature available only with certain older iMac models.

Only the following older iMac models can be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.
  • The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier; it does not work with macOS 10.14 Mojave or later, or with Boot Camp and Windows.*
  • Retina display iMacs won’t work as target displays.

• In all cases the other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 1:25 PM in response to Stubojug

No can do, my friend. The Mac that you want to connect to the target iMac must have been released in 2019 or earlier and running Catalina or earlier.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Target display mode is a feature available only with certain older iMac models.

Only the following older iMac models can be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.
  • The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier; it does not work with macOS 10.14 Mojave or later, or with Boot Camp and Windows.*
  • Retina display iMacs won’t work as target displays.

• In all cases the other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

Connecting iMac to other iMac for target display mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.