Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Updates

If my iMac received malicious code before Apple discovered and patched the vulnerability, is my iMac still infected with the malicious code, or do the security updates remove all the malicious code?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:20 PM

For your peace of mind and well being of the computer suggest downloading a Malwarebytes. It is a Trusted Developer and Well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free to use or paid for added features. Run the application and if it finds Adware / Malware it will remove it.

As for Virus affect macOS - there are none that are in the wild that self replicate. So do not waste you money on this type of stuff.

As for your initial question - Big Sur runs on a Sealed and Hardened volume that is almost impossible to be altered, modified, or otherwise infected or compromised.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 2:20 PM in response to brene66

For your peace of mind and well being of the computer suggest downloading a Malwarebytes. It is a Trusted Developer and Well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free to use or paid for added features. Run the application and if it finds Adware / Malware it will remove it.

As for Virus affect macOS - there are none that are in the wild that self replicate. So do not waste you money on this type of stuff.

As for your initial question - Big Sur runs on a Sealed and Hardened volume that is almost impossible to be altered, modified, or otherwise infected or compromised.

Jun 22, 2021 2:05 PM in response to brene66

I’m not sure. I’ve been having issues with some “remote view management” and Bluetooth file sharing. I have all sharing turned off but this remote view management keeps showing up. Apple had no answers when I asked so I’ve been reading and came across articles about how Apple fixed security issues with the last update. Now I’m wondering if my Mac was hacked and if the update would remove the malicious malware. I’m not techie and I don’t know which things on my Mac are from Apple and if there are things I should’ve worried about.

ive called and chatted with Apple a few times but they always reassure that it’s all fine, just change your passwords and everything is fine but reading about the vulnerabilities that were found in the iPhone, I now know that that is not true. So I’m a little worried.

Jun 22, 2021 2:33 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks I will run malwarebytes. So even if something was put on my Mac it would be removed or at least, unable to function after the update? So updates will fix/remove anything malicious?

I first suspected something in July 2020 so it’s whatever IT is has had plenty of time to make itself at home. One of the vulnerabilities that was found was malicious code being able to access permission from another app. That’s one of the things that I’m worried about.

thanks for the recommendation. I’ll give it a try.

Jun 22, 2021 2:43 PM in response to brene66

Below directly from Apple

Malware Removal Tool

Should malware make its way onto a Mac, macOS also includes technology to remediate infections. The Malware Removal Tool (MRT) is an engine in macOS that remediates infections based on updates automatically delivered from Apple (as part of automatic updates of system data files and security updates). MRT removes malware upon receiving updated information, and it continues to check for infections on restart and login. MRT doesn’t automatically reboot the Mac.

Automatic security updates

Apple issues the updates for XProtect and MRT automatically based on the latest threat intelligence available. By default, macOS checks for these updates daily. Notarization updates are distributed using CloudKit sync and are much more frequent.

Jun 22, 2021 5:26 PM in response to brene66

User wrote " So even if something was put on my Mac .. " - have to put this in context if you please. Nothing just gets put on your computer. For something to be installed - it requires the express and purposeful action of the Admin Account User to download and install the object, extension or application. Yes, there are times one may download from a Third Party Untrusted Site and intended to get an application and it is infected with Malware / Adware. So, if this is the reference to malicious code - the Malwarebytes should remove it.

Security Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.