Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my HP Envy 7640 scanner to work with my Apple?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 3:06 PM

If you have never used that scanner on your iMac, consider trying the following:

1. Connect your scanner to your iMac, and turn on your iMac and the scanner.
  2. Click on the Apple icon on the top left side of the toolbar.
  3. Find and click on "System Preferences".
  4. Find and click on "Printers & Scanners".
  5. From the "Printers & Scanners" window, click the lock at the bottom left corner of the window it's locked to enter an Administrator's password. If it is already unlocked, then proceed to step 5.
  6. Above the unlocked lock icon, click the plus sign (+) to add the new scanner.
  7. A new "Add Printer" window appears.
  8. Hopefully your computer will find your scanner. If so, click on the scanner in the "Add Printer" window.
  9. With your scanner highlighted/selected in the "Add Printer" window, click the "Add" button in the bottom right side of the window.

If you have previously used that scanner with your iMac in the past, but you recently updated your iMac's version of macOS, then delete your old scanner from the "Printers & Scanners" window (see Step 5 above). Then complete steps 5-9 above.

I hope that helps!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 3:06 PM in response to New_River

If you have never used that scanner on your iMac, consider trying the following:

1. Connect your scanner to your iMac, and turn on your iMac and the scanner.
  2. Click on the Apple icon on the top left side of the toolbar.
  3. Find and click on "System Preferences".
  4. Find and click on "Printers & Scanners".
  5. From the "Printers & Scanners" window, click the lock at the bottom left corner of the window it's locked to enter an Administrator's password. If it is already unlocked, then proceed to step 5.
  6. Above the unlocked lock icon, click the plus sign (+) to add the new scanner.
  7. A new "Add Printer" window appears.
  8. Hopefully your computer will find your scanner. If so, click on the scanner in the "Add Printer" window.
  9. With your scanner highlighted/selected in the "Add Printer" window, click the "Add" button in the bottom right side of the window.

If you have previously used that scanner with your iMac in the past, but you recently updated your iMac's version of macOS, then delete your old scanner from the "Printers & Scanners" window (see Step 5 above). Then complete steps 5-9 above.

I hope that helps!

Jun 22, 2021 5:21 PM in response to New_River

If HP does not offer scanning software for your current operating system you should be able to scan with Apple's Image Capture app, although it is not a full featured scanning app. In the alternative, you can download and try VueScan at no cost to see if you like it. Using it on a trial basis, you will have a watermark. It works with most scanners and is a full featured scanner app. I purchased it and I can recommend it. It is also well supported. I have no association with VueScan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.