Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You don’t have permission to write to the folder that the file “NAME” is in.

When I save a photo from my Apple photos to my iCloud, desktop or an external drive and then open the photo in Preview to edit it, I get this error message when trying to save it: You don’t have permission to write to the folder that the file “name” is in. It says I have to duplicate the photo but that actually won't save either. This happens on all my Macs (two iMacs and a MacBook). I've checked my permissions and they all say "read and write." This only happens to current photos saved from Mac Photos and not to older photos that have been previously saved. I really need to be able to do quick edits in Preview and simply save to a folder. Any suggestions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 6:52 AM

Which system version is running on your Mac? What is the image format of the files you are trying to edit?

It may be safer to use Preview directly from Photos - try to select the image in Photos, use "Mage Duplicate one Photo", then use the command "Image > Edit with > Preview"

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 6:52 AM in response to alhco5

Which system version is running on your Mac? What is the image format of the files you are trying to edit?

It may be safer to use Preview directly from Photos - try to select the image in Photos, use "Mage Duplicate one Photo", then use the command "Image > Edit with > Preview"

You don’t have permission to write to the folder that the file “NAME” is in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.