Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why no Add-Blockers in Safari?

Why Dosent Apple Safari have a built in Add-Blocker. I am so tired of all the pop ups in Big Sur. I don't use

anti virus software, no vpn ..... I don't want an add-blocker extension ..... I want it built into the Safari browser. Tried FireFox, guess what ? No pop ups, cause its built into the browser.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 6:50 PM

Hi mylesvk,

You might find it helpful to go to Safari > Preferences > Websites. Then click popup windows.

Now you can block pop-up windows for:

• A website in the list: Select the website in the right column, then choose the option you want.
  • All websites that aren’t currently customized: Click the “When visiting other websites” pop-up menu in the bottom-right corner of the pane, then choose the option you want.
  • You can see all websites you’ve customized under Configured Websites. If you don’t see Configured Websites, either you haven’t customized a website yet, or you’ve cleared the list. See Change Websites preferences in Safari on Mac.
  • All websites: Make sure no websites are listed under Configured Websites (to clear the list quickly, select the websites, then click Remove). Click the “When visiting other websites” pop-up menu, then choose the option you want.

I understand that this is still not perfect, and that you would like an adblocker built into safari. A built-in adblocker would probably be met with outrage from website owners looking for revenue. But the important thing to keep in mind here is that you're actually talking to other Apple Users who have little over what apple decides to put in their products.

So you should visit apple.com/feedback if you want to tell apple what you think of their products and give suggestions.

I also recommend adblock plus if you're willing to try an extension. It's available from the App Store and I have used it in the past with no issues.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 6:50 PM in response to mylesvk

Hi mylesvk,

You might find it helpful to go to Safari > Preferences > Websites. Then click popup windows.

Now you can block pop-up windows for:

• A website in the list: Select the website in the right column, then choose the option you want.
  • All websites that aren’t currently customized: Click the “When visiting other websites” pop-up menu in the bottom-right corner of the pane, then choose the option you want.
  • You can see all websites you’ve customized under Configured Websites. If you don’t see Configured Websites, either you haven’t customized a website yet, or you’ve cleared the list. See Change Websites preferences in Safari on Mac.
  • All websites: Make sure no websites are listed under Configured Websites (to clear the list quickly, select the websites, then click Remove). Click the “When visiting other websites” pop-up menu, then choose the option you want.

I understand that this is still not perfect, and that you would like an adblocker built into safari. A built-in adblocker would probably be met with outrage from website owners looking for revenue. But the important thing to keep in mind here is that you're actually talking to other Apple Users who have little over what apple decides to put in their products.

So you should visit apple.com/feedback if you want to tell apple what you think of their products and give suggestions.

I also recommend adblock plus if you're willing to try an extension. It's available from the App Store and I have used it in the past with no issues.

Jun 23, 2021 4:12 PM in response to sea116

My friend sea116. Thanks for your response. I realize I am only talking to other Apple users. I am die hard Apple everything.

Its just very annoying surfing the web, checking the latest news, sports, and no matter where I go in Safari there are annoying pop ups. But as I said, I tried Firefox and there are Nada, no pop ups ever no matter where I go. I had to stop using Safari. If Apple is so concerned with security, and privacy its obviously very easy to stop the pop ups a la Firefox. Try it for yourself and see.

Again, I realize I'm only talking to other Apple users ( we both know Apple monitors these communities ) I only hoped others would see my question, and maybe vocalize the same concerns. Sooner or later Apple might get the hint and do something about the pop ups. Thanks again for allowing me to Vent.

Why no Add-Blockers in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.