Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I repurpose a recycled device

I have approximately 20 recycled devices that were donated to me by a nameless benefactor. How do i cleanly wipe and test these devices outside of a Genius Bar?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 3:50 AM

Depends on the age of these computer ?? One could created bootable Installers of various versions of macOS. Boot the devices and wipe the drives once it has been determined what version of macOS they Qualify for.

Notation - the computer being used to download and create the Bootable Installer Must also Qualify to run the desired versions of macOS being downloaded for making the installer. Example: a computer that came originally installed with Catalina would not be able to download and create a Bootable Installer for Mojave or anything older.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 3:50 AM in response to ThanaBarlee

Depends on the age of these computer ?? One could created bootable Installers of various versions of macOS. Boot the devices and wipe the drives once it has been determined what version of macOS they Qualify for.

Notation - the computer being used to download and create the Bootable Installer Must also Qualify to run the desired versions of macOS being downloaded for making the installer. Example: a computer that came originally installed with Catalina would not be able to download and create a Bootable Installer for Mojave or anything older.

How do I repurpose a recycled device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.