Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security issues. Saying weak security!

I’m having trouble since my phone was just reset because I was having issues at saying my network is weak now. I had never had that issue before.

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 6:10 AM

A "weak security" message is telling you your router is set to use older network security settings. Note that you are not seeing this because your security has changed on your network, just that the new system software version on your Apple device is now programmed to analyze your wi-fi security and report it to you.

See this support article about 'Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points'

Click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT202068

"WPA3 Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), and some older devices.

WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.

WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the encryption or cipher type, if available."

Change the settings on your router to a minimum of WPA2 Personal (AES) if possible. You may be able to set them higher which is okay as long as you do not have any older hardware also needing to connect to your router that cannot use these settings. Your security settings will also be limited by what your model router will support. It may not support higher security settings or may require a firmware update before doing this.

You configure a router by logging into it with a web browser. This is not something you do with settings on your Apple hardware. Review your router user manual for instructions. If you have not changed the password it may be printed on a label attached to the router. This password is not the same as the one you use when connecting to wi-fi.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 6:10 AM in response to Janetwojo65

A "weak security" message is telling you your router is set to use older network security settings. Note that you are not seeing this because your security has changed on your network, just that the new system software version on your Apple device is now programmed to analyze your wi-fi security and report it to you.

See this support article about 'Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points'

Click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT202068

"WPA3 Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), and some older devices.

WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.

WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the encryption or cipher type, if available."

Change the settings on your router to a minimum of WPA2 Personal (AES) if possible. You may be able to set them higher which is okay as long as you do not have any older hardware also needing to connect to your router that cannot use these settings. Your security settings will also be limited by what your model router will support. It may not support higher security settings or may require a firmware update before doing this.

You configure a router by logging into it with a web browser. This is not something you do with settings on your Apple hardware. Review your router user manual for instructions. If you have not changed the password it may be printed on a label attached to the router. This password is not the same as the one you use when connecting to wi-fi.

Jun 23, 2021 7:31 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you very much. I realize that but I haven’t figured it out yet. How to change router. The man at the store last night reset my phone and it messed everything up everything went back to normal. So now I have to reread everything because I don’t know how to change that that’s what keeps showing up in my networks on my phone when I’m out. What a pain in the butt thank you so very much

Security issues. Saying weak security!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.