Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete ._ on mac USB file names

How do I delete ._ prefix duplicate fake file names copied onto USB flash drive that become visible when plugged into media player?

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 6:36 AM

Trust me it works. The issue is that you failed to recognize that my use of /Volumes/MyFlashDrive was to be replaced by your own path string by dragging and dropping your mounted USB stick onto the Terminal and then pressing return.

You type only the following with a trailing space:

dot_clean -m 

and then drag/drop your USB stick from the Desktop onto the Terminal behind the preceding command, and then press return. If there is any white space in the drive name, you need to enclose it in double quotes.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2021 6:36 AM in response to OzLou

Trust me it works. The issue is that you failed to recognize that my use of /Volumes/MyFlashDrive was to be replaced by your own path string by dragging and dropping your mounted USB stick onto the Terminal and then pressing return.

You type only the following with a trailing space:

dot_clean -m 

and then drag/drop your USB stick from the Desktop onto the Terminal behind the preceding command, and then press return. If there is any white space in the drive name, you need to enclose it in double quotes.

Jun 24, 2021 12:23 AM in response to OzLou

You can open Finder and use the following keyboard shortcut to toggle hidden items on or off. Please proceed with caution. Deleting hidden items may impact software functionality.

Shift-Command-Period (.)

Here is an article that includes more keyboard shortcuts.

Alternatively, you can erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility.

Jun 26, 2021 4:20 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi VikingOSX, I tried your method to remove ._ from all files within a USB drive but it didn't work.

I launched 'Terminal' on my iMac.

Then drag and dropped the desktop mounted USB into Terminal so it recognized exact name of my USB drive.

Then I copy and pasted line you said to insert: dot_clean -m /Volumes/MyFlashDrive (with no word or letter spaces in between). Then I hit return, removed USB and inserted it into my media players and all the duplicate ._ files are still there, plus other fake file names like: .Spotlight-V100, .TemporaryItems, .Trashes, System Volume Information, Parent Folder, etc.

When my brother brings a USB drive here that he created on a PC that I then insert in the same media players, it just displays 1 clean list of playable files in alphabetical order.

How do I delete ._ on mac USB file names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.