Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch won't open computer

For some time, my Apple Watch (A1978-4th Gen) successfully opened my MBP (13,3) running High Sierra 10.13.6) without typing in my password.

Within the last few days, it has stopped opening the computer. It waits briefly (1-2 seconds), then I have to put in my password manually.

I have gone to preferences>security and privacy, turned off "Allow your apple watch to open your Mac", restarted, turned it back on, restarted and then slept the computer. It still doesn't work.

I have not installed any system updates in either the computer, watch or associated iPhone.

Any help? What might I try next?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 7:00 AM

4 replies

Jun 25, 2021 11:30 AM in response to Richard Setterberg

Hi Richard Setterberg,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand you are no longer able to unlock your MacBook Pro using your Apple Watch.

"If you're having difficulty getting Auto Unlock to work, try these solutions:

• In Security & Privacy preferences, deselect ”Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac,” then restart your Mac and turn this setting back on.
  • Make sure that your Mac isn't using Internet sharing or screen sharing."

You'll find additional information and steps here:

Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch

Cheers!

Jun 25, 2021 12:05 PM in response to linzimartine

Thanks for trying, but as noted above, I did try the first suggestion several times without success. We have one router and a number of Apple devices connected to the router, but none to each other.

FWIW, my wife's MBP (newer, Catalina) opens just fine with her watch.

Mine just stopped working days ago after working for months.

Apple watch won't open computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.