Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro says it is low on memory

My Mac keep experiencing a pop up that says it is low on memory is there an app I can download to clean my computer of this pop-up?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 7:57 AM

cjkovak wrote:

My Mac keep experiencing a pop up that says it is low on memory is there an app I can download to clean my computer of this pop-up?

No.

Typically third party Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN does nothing but add issues

It is advised to Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

to clear cache etc. Reboot as normal.

You will have to be more specific about the app in question... paint a bigger picture if you want more support here.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 7:57 AM in response to cjkovak

cjkovak wrote:

No.

Typically third party Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN does nothing but add issues

It is advised to Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

to clear cache etc. Reboot as normal.

You will have to be more specific about the app in question... paint a bigger picture if you want more support here.

Jun 24, 2021 8:19 AM in response to cjkovak

If you are getting "Your system has run out of application memory"

But for the record, there are 2 reasons for the "Your system has run out of application memory" dialog box.

A) Your boot disk has very low free storage, and macOS cannot create page/swap files to offload virtual memory contents to disk. This is generally not the case, but I mention because sometimes it is.

B) A process (or set of processes) have asked macOS for excessive amounts of virtual memory address space. Virtual memory address space requires macOS to create Virtual Memory Page Tables in the kernel address space to keep track of the application virtual addresses given out. Generally, if there is a memory leak (process asks for a virtual address range, uses the addresses, forgets to give them back, asks for another virtual address range, uses the addresses, wash, rinse, repeat), eventually there are so many virtual memory page table entries trying to keep track of the virtual addresses, that macOS no longer has memory available for applications, and you get the "Your system has run out of application memory"

If you look at Applications -> Utilties -> Activity Monitor -> View (menu) -> All Processes -> Memory (tab), you can see what processes are using lots of memory.

MacBook Pro says it is low on memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.