Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi calling possible to device without WiFi calling enabled?

Can I use WiFi calling on my iPhone to call an Android phone, or another iPhone, that does not have WiFi calling enabled? In other words, do both devices (mine making the call and the one receiving the call) need to have Wifi calling enabled to make a WiFi call?

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 7:22 AM

WiFi calling is a feature of your carrier. They still route the call, whether a conventional cellular call or a WiFi call. So if your carrier supports WiFi calling in their network and with your plan, you just make and receive calls the same way you’ve always done. The only difference is how your carrier handles and routes the call, be it an incoming our an outgoing call.

The person your calling or who is calling you could be using a landline or a satellite telephone - it doesn’t matter.

Other than Apple’s iOS supporting the feature. WiFi calling is something your carrier has set up and implemented to augment their customers calling ability in poor cellular reception areas.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 7:22 AM in response to WiFiCall

WiFi calling is a feature of your carrier. They still route the call, whether a conventional cellular call or a WiFi call. So if your carrier supports WiFi calling in their network and with your plan, you just make and receive calls the same way you’ve always done. The only difference is how your carrier handles and routes the call, be it an incoming our an outgoing call.

The person your calling or who is calling you could be using a landline or a satellite telephone - it doesn’t matter.

Other than Apple’s iOS supporting the feature. WiFi calling is something your carrier has set up and implemented to augment their customers calling ability in poor cellular reception areas.

Jun 25, 2021 7:18 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you. Is the same true of receiving calls? Can I receive a call over WiFi calling that was placed through a normal network? Also can I place and receive calls over WiFi calling if I have the “cellular” option turned on at the same time? I’d like to have both options available but use the WIFi calling option as much as possible. (Because we are overseas and the local networks are giving us unreliable results, but we do have WiFi available. So we are hoping that using WiFi calling will help.)

WiFi calling possible to device without WiFi calling enabled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.