Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally deleted Mac partition in Bootcamp!

Hi!

So I've recently dug my old Macbook Pro out of my drawer, and remembered that I sort of messed up the computer. When I used Bootcamp in order to get Windows on the computer, I accidentally erased (or overwrote? not sure) the mac partition on the computer. It automatically boots into Windows now, and when I hold "option" on startup, the only available disk is "EFI Boot". I have tried Cmd+R, as well as Cmd+Option+R, and many other variations in hopes of accessing the "Internet Recovery" option. NOTHING has worked thus far.

Any thoughts? I do not care at all about keeping Windows, or my data. I am willing to have a full wipe of the computer if necessary if it means I can have normal macOS back on the laptop.

Let me know!

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 3:17 AM

Sorry to report - the DMG is not a Bootable Installer but only the Image file of the macOS. To make the Drive bootable = that DMG needs to be expanded on a Apple computer compatible with whatever version of DMG is representing. Then Read Here on How to create a bootable installer for macOS . Now that is a Bootable Installer.

Once that is done - follow the directions provide on pervious person to boot from the USB Drive.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 3:17 AM in response to subsyto

Sorry to report - the DMG is not a Bootable Installer but only the Image file of the macOS. To make the Drive bootable = that DMG needs to be expanded on a Apple computer compatible with whatever version of DMG is representing. Then Read Here on How to create a bootable installer for macOS . Now that is a Bootable Installer.

Once that is done - follow the directions provide on pervious person to boot from the USB Drive.

Accidentally deleted Mac partition in Bootcamp!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.