Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High speed data transfer to iPad Pro or Ipad Air 4

I am thinking about getting an iPadPro or iPad Air 4 to do post production on raw images from my DSLR when I am away from home for a few days. I already do this on an ancient iPad Air 2 but it takes an age to transfer 60MB RAW files from the camera to the iPad. My Nikon D850 supports USB 3 and one might hope that Apple does as well in its latest devices.

What are the options for high speed transfer of data from external devices? Does the iPadPro support USB 3 through its USB-C connector? I can't see any definitive answer to that on the web. If not, are there other high speed options I could use with a USB external device, with an appropriate converter/cable?

Any assistance appreciated.

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 2:12 AM

iPad models that feature a Lightning connector can add USB3 connectivity using a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

Don’t be fooled by the name; functionality is not limited to connecting a camera via USB. This adapter includes a USB Host Controller - and supports USB3 transfer rates with supported USB devices. In addition to a USB3 port, this adapter includes a pass-through Lightning port for simultaneous connection to the iPad Power Adapter - this providing adequate power for externally connected USB devices.

iPad Air4 and 2018/2020 models of iPad Pro have a USB-C connection that by definition supports USB3. The 2021 models of iPad Pro also feature a USB-C connection - now upgraded to support USB4 / Thunderbolt3.

For reference, each of the iPad product pages on the Apple website has a link to device specifications. All the models of iPad can be found here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 2:12 AM in response to TalkingCatPhotos

iPad models that feature a Lightning connector can add USB3 connectivity using a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

Don’t be fooled by the name; functionality is not limited to connecting a camera via USB. This adapter includes a USB Host Controller - and supports USB3 transfer rates with supported USB devices. In addition to a USB3 port, this adapter includes a pass-through Lightning port for simultaneous connection to the iPad Power Adapter - this providing adequate power for externally connected USB devices.

iPad Air4 and 2018/2020 models of iPad Pro have a USB-C connection that by definition supports USB3. The 2021 models of iPad Pro also feature a USB-C connection - now upgraded to support USB4 / Thunderbolt3.

For reference, each of the iPad product pages on the Apple website has a link to device specifications. All the models of iPad can be found here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

High speed data transfer to iPad Pro or Ipad Air 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.