Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of El Capitan on older Macbook Pro (2009) and an error "OS X could not be installed on your computer"

Hello,

I have older MacBook Pro (2009) with Code Duo 2 processor (Max OS 10.8.x). I have create bootable USB with El Capitan OS X and started the installation. I have erased the disk in order to start fresh. After completed installation and reboot, I got on the screen "OS X could not be installed on your computer" and "No packages were eligible to install." No sure if installation media / USB is defective or missing files. Unfortunately i can't do restore to 10.8, because restore disk is 10.11.... I have newer Mac with BiGSur and I can't install El Capitan app (in order to create new USB install media). Please advise is USB install image is available for download or what other method for installation I could do. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 2:51 AM

Suggestion - disconnect from Internet and turn the Date Back to 2017. Remain without Internet Connection during the Installation from USB Installer. This may have something to do with the Certificates in the Installer are Expired especially if the USB Installer was created some time ago.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 2:51 AM in response to kafadar

Suggestion - disconnect from Internet and turn the Date Back to 2017. Remain without Internet Connection during the Installation from USB Installer. This may have something to do with the Certificates in the Installer are Expired especially if the USB Installer was created some time ago.

Installation of El Capitan on older Macbook Pro (2009) and an error "OS X could not be installed on your computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.