Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos in an album on my Mac.

Hi

Just finding my way round my photos on my new Apple Mac .

I would like to delete some photos from my library on my Mac, without losing them on "all my

devices". I dragged and dropped some to another album, but, wanted to delete from the existing, the message keeps coming up that this will be deleted from all devices, which I don't want to do, just move them to another file/album. can anyone help??

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 4:47 AM

If you want to move photos to a different album, you have remove the photos from the album, not to delete them. While viewing an album on your Mac, use the ⌫ key to remove the photo from the album, or the command "Image > Remove from album". You can only remove photos from standard albums you create yourself, not from Smart albums or the predefined albums created automatically by Photos. If you try to remove a photo from Imports, or All Photos, or recents, for example, it will result in deleting the photo from all devices, as the predefined albums are based on all photos in your library.

If you want to have a view, where you are only seeing photos not yet in any album, you may want to create yourself a smart album, with only photos not in any album:

• File > New Smart Album
  • Set the rule for this album to "Album > In not > Any".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 4:47 AM in response to Ruth Dew

If you want to move photos to a different album, you have remove the photos from the album, not to delete them. While viewing an album on your Mac, use the ⌫ key to remove the photo from the album, or the command "Image > Remove from album". You can only remove photos from standard albums you create yourself, not from Smart albums or the predefined albums created automatically by Photos. If you try to remove a photo from Imports, or All Photos, or recents, for example, it will result in deleting the photo from all devices, as the predefined albums are based on all photos in your library.

If you want to have a view, where you are only seeing photos not yet in any album, you may want to create yourself a smart album, with only photos not in any album:

• File > New Smart Album
  • Set the rule for this album to "Album > In not > Any".

How to delete photos in an album on my Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.