Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts not syncing between iPhone X and Mac OS 10.11.6 or iCloud.com

My Mac Pro tower (running OS 10.11.6) and iCloud.com are only showing a handful of the 78 contacts I have on my iPhone X. I am using the same Apple ID on my phone, my Mac and when signing into my iCloud account via a web browser. What the heck is going on?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 8:49 PM

Take help of a web browser and enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in an iPhone , the contacts that were saved in will be visible select the desired contacts and click on gear icon in the left bottom corner and click on export as v card .

Open finder , click on downloads , right click on .vcf file and open with contacts .app( default ) .

The address book will get opened , a pop up window will appear stating are you sure you want to add number of cards , click on add .

Again open your address book the contacts that were in the iPhone will be transferred under the section “ All contacts “ in the Mac address book .

Sign out from www.icloud.com used with Apple ID and password for an iPhone .

Then enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in the Mac , click on gear icon and click on import as v card all the contacts will be transferred in the iCloud server , click on create group on the bottom right corner an untitled folder will be created in the side bar and the contacts from iPhone are transferred to the iCloud server account .

See some articles iCloud: Export a contact as a vCard from iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Import a contact into iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Create a group in iCloud Contacts

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 8:49 PM in response to misalodesign

Take help of a web browser and enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in an iPhone , the contacts that were saved in will be visible select the desired contacts and click on gear icon in the left bottom corner and click on export as v card .

Open finder , click on downloads , right click on .vcf file and open with contacts .app( default ) .

The address book will get opened , a pop up window will appear stating are you sure you want to add number of cards , click on add .

Again open your address book the contacts that were in the iPhone will be transferred under the section “ All contacts “ in the Mac address book .

Sign out from www.icloud.com used with Apple ID and password for an iPhone .

Then enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in the Mac , click on gear icon and click on import as v card all the contacts will be transferred in the iCloud server , click on create group on the bottom right corner an untitled folder will be created in the side bar and the contacts from iPhone are transferred to the iCloud server account .

See some articles iCloud: Export a contact as a vCard from iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Import a contact into iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Create a group in iCloud Contacts

Jun 25, 2021 11:12 AM in response to misalodesign

As per the article Set up and use iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

On your Mac

1. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Apple ID. If you’re using macOS Mojave or earlier, you don’t need to click Apple ID. 
  2. Click iCloud.
  3. Select Contacts.

All of the information* stored in Contacts uploads to iCloud.

* If you have contacts information stored On My Mac, that information will not automatically sync. In Contacts, drag a contact from On My Mac to All iCloud, or export your contacts as Vcards, then manually sync with the Finder. 

Jun 28, 2021 9:16 AM in response to misalodesign

I figured it out. I double-checked my other Apple IDs and found the missing contacts in one of the accounts (which I'll refer to as Apple ID #2). I signed into Apple ID #2 on icloud.com, went to SETTINGS and EXPORTED my contacts list, saving it to my desktop. When I double-clicked that .vcf file on my desktop, I guess it added those v-cards to my Mac's contact list—which is signed in under Apple ID #1. At that point my phone, which is also signed in under Apple ID #1 (same as my Mac) must have synced by WiFi because my full contacts list was now showing up. I signed out of Apple ID #2 and signed back into ID #1 to make sure the full list was showing there too, and it is. Hooray!

What I don't understand is, if that larger list of contacts was under Apple ID #2, why was it showing up on my iPhone all this time if I was signed into my phone using Apple ID #1? Could it have been because I have an email account set up on my iPhone for BOTH Apple IDs??

Jun 28, 2021 8:01 AM in response to tygb

iCloud.com was the first place I went - that's when I noticed that it only showed 8 contacts (just like my Mac desktop). My iPhone X has 78 contacts... however, over the weekend I noticed that there are some missing because, when those friends called or text me, there names don't show -- just the numbers -- and they're no longer showing in my contacts list. I just don't get it... I am signed in under the same Apple ID for all three, so you'd think my phone, computer and iCloud.com would all show the exact same list of contacts.

Contacts not syncing between iPhone X and Mac OS 10.11.6 or iCloud.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.