Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are SSD external drives reliable for long term storage?

I have a new M1 iMac with the latest OS. I want to set up a Time Machine backup drive. My question is whether or not the new SSD externals are as reliable for long term data storage as the old style disk Hard Drives. It would be sweet just to velcro a little SSD to the back and never see it or hear it, but not at the risk of not having reliable backup.

Thanks.

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 3:57 PM

That should be, 200 GB.

B = byte

b = bit

B = 8b

The correct terminology is B, not b. The letter's case is significant.

So, if your internal SSD has about 200 GBs used, your backup external should be at least 1 TB if you're using TimeMachine.

I would recommend using a cloning software, it's a one to one backup, and is also bootable if your internal drive were to fail.

A SSD will always be more reliable and faster than a mechanical spinning HD.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 3:57 PM in response to mb34

That should be, 200 GB.

B = byte

b = bit

B = 8b

The correct terminology is B, not b. The letter's case is significant.

So, if your internal SSD has about 200 GBs used, your backup external should be at least 1 TB if you're using TimeMachine.

I would recommend using a cloning software, it's a one to one backup, and is also bootable if your internal drive were to fail.

A SSD will always be more reliable and faster than a mechanical spinning HD.

Jun 26, 2021 8:04 AM in response to mb34

Whatever one does >>

Do I have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS. For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Jun 25, 2021 2:04 PM in response to mb34

There is quite a big difference between a thumb drive and a full sized SSD, which one are you talking about? A thumb drive would not be a reliable backup device compared to full sized external SSD.

Also consider that TimeMachine backup drives should be about 5 times larger than what you're backing up.

Jun 25, 2021 2:17 PM in response to Lanny

Full size. 2TB Samsung, unless I can find something bigger. It looks like I have about 200Mb on my iMac at the moment. I currently have a 4TB Seagate that unexpectedly shutdown and I got the message that I removed it without ejecting it properly. Well I did not, so I am thinking it might be time to replace it. I did then remove the cord and plug it back in and it worked, but I am thinking it might be time to replace it. It is left over from my previous 2015 iMac, so about 6 years old.

Jun 26, 2021 7:04 AM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:
.... also bootable if your internal drive were to fail.

That is no longer true on any M1 Mac as all boot information is contained

on a partition on the internal SSD now and no longer in logic board

firmware. So, if the internal drive fails, the computer is dead in the water.

Many have brought up this point especially a very reliable source, Mike Bombich

of Carbon Copy Cloner.

Bad design move as I see it.

Are SSD external drives reliable for long term storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.