Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do "Caption" show up?

I can type in a Caption for a Photo in the info box. But I don't see it appear anywhere. So what good is having a Caption space in the info box?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 10:03 PM

No I expect a CAPTION to be underneath the photo. Just like a TITLE should be Above the Photo. The description area is where I would put info to be included in the metadata.

7 replies

Jun 26, 2021 12:41 AM in response to TonyCollinet

The "captions" will be syncing with iCloud Photos to the iPhone or iPad. This is a new feature on iOS 14 and macOS 11. When you take photos on an iPhone or iPad with iOS 14, you can enter a caption directly after taking the photo, while you still remember what the photo is about, and you will see the caption on your Mac in the Info. The iOS devices are not showing the titles at all, but you can see the captions, when you swipe up on a photo to see the details below the photo.

Apple seems to be moving from titles to captions since macOS 11 and iOS 14. The titles are no longer saved with the photos when you export a JPEG on macOS 11 Big Sur, but the captions are exported. Currently it is a bit ridiculous.

• In Photos for Mac I can see the titles below the thumbnails, so I need to add titles to my photos and videos.
  • On my iPhone and iPad I can only see the captions, and the Mac is no longer exporting titles with JPEGs, so I need to write the relevant descriptions into the captions.

Currents I am prefixing all descriptions with the title.

Jun 26, 2021 9:10 AM in response to barbaraok

Perhaps I misunderstood your question. Do you want to see the text directly as a text on the photo? Not below the photo or thumbnail? To write text into the photo as a part of the photo, neither titles nor captions will work. They are just metadata, embedded in the IPTC metadata of the file, but do not modify the image. If you want to see the text as a part of the photo, use the Markup Photo editing extension. This lets you draw text onto the photo. See: Use Markup to write or draw on a photo in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

I don't want to mutilate my photos, so I am never using Markup and are just adding metadata to the file.

Jun 25, 2021 11:30 PM in response to barbaraok

Hi

You can see it in the info box as a reminder about what the picture is about.

You can use it in smart albums to identify photos with a particular caption, or word within a caption.

You can add it underneath a photo when printing contact sheets.

It will be added to the metadata of exported images if "Include titles, keywords and captions" is selected.

Jun 26, 2021 10:45 PM in response to barbaraok

Then you are out if luck. Photos for Mac is currently showing the caption only in the Info, and it cannot be zoomed. You would have to change the System Preferences > Display to a "Scaled" resolution for larger text, to make the Info better readable.

I am keeping the Info always open. As I step through the photos while viewing them enlarged, the info will switch automatically to the currently selected image.

Where do "Caption" show up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.