Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backups Password Keychain Location

Backstory: I've been dealing with a corrupted/failing hard drive issue on my MacBook Pro where I'm unable to boot up normally, but I am able to boot into recovery mode and transfer some files to an external disk via Terminal. I'm not asking for any advice on that issue in this question. I want to try restoring from my Time Machine backup, but I've somehow lost the backup password I had written down. I know the password has to be stored in a keychain because I've been able to do regular backups to my Time Machine hard disk whenever I plug it in without typing in a password.

I've been trying to locate the keychain file where this password is stored so I can move the keychain to another Mac, unlock it, and view the backup password. I've looked at all of the keychains in /Users/<username>/Library/Keychains/ and /Library/Keychains/ (most notably /Users/<username>/Library/Keychains/login.keychain-db and /Library/Keychains/System.keychain) and found all of my other passwords for internet accounts, WiFi networks, etc., but I haven't been able to locate the password for the Time Machine backup. Where else could this password be stored? And what would it be called?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 9:11 PM

After revisiting this again, I realized that I was looking for the password under the wrong name, expecting it to contain "Time Machine". The time machine backup password was stored in the file "/Users/<username>/Library/Keychains/login.keychain-db", had the same name as the disk, and was of type "encrypted volume password".

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 9:11 PM in response to kpg7

After revisiting this again, I realized that I was looking for the password under the wrong name, expecting it to contain "Time Machine". The time machine backup password was stored in the file "/Users/<username>/Library/Keychains/login.keychain-db", had the same name as the disk, and was of type "encrypted volume password".

Jun 27, 2021 12:18 PM in response to kpg7

Hello kpg7,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you’re trying to restore an encrypted Time Machine backup but forgot the password and would like to know how to recover or restore it. We’d like to help.

Is there a hint for your password? When you encrypt a Time Machine backup, "If you lose or forget your password, you can’t restore or recover your data." Here's some more information About the Time Machine backup password on Mac.

Take care.

Jun 27, 2021 2:29 PM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't think it's helpful for answering my question. My hint is not sufficient for determining my password, and I'm very aware that I can't recover or restore the backup without the password.

As I said in the original question, I know that the password is stored in a Keychain file somewhere on my Mac, but I can't access the Keychain Access application directly because my Mac only boots into Recovery Mode. I need to know the directory where the Keychain file is located so I can move it to another Mac and view it in Keychain Access. I've checked two of the locations where I know Keychain files are located, but the Keychains in these directories don't contain my Time Machine password.

Time Machine Backups Password Keychain Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.