Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting new laptop to iMac

Looking to buy either new mac air or mac pro. Can i connect any of these laptops to my old iMac 21.5 inch, late 2013, to use it as an external monitor? Thank you

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 2:07 PM

No Mac from 2020 and later can be connected to an iMac as a display.

From 2019 and earlier and running Catalina and earlier, and to certain iMac models (including this one) running High Sierra and earlier, yes. (Based on your footer shown here, you’ll have to wipe and re-install High Sierra.)

Tap or click for details > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

And I’m here assuming you’re looking at a MacBook Pro and not a Mac Pro; those are two very different Macs.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2021 2:07 PM in response to annau80

No Mac from 2020 and later can be connected to an iMac as a display.

From 2019 and earlier and running Catalina and earlier, and to certain iMac models (including this one) running High Sierra and earlier, yes. (Based on your footer shown here, you’ll have to wipe and re-install High Sierra.)

Tap or click for details > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

And I’m here assuming you’re looking at a MacBook Pro and not a Mac Pro; those are two very different Macs.

Connecting new laptop to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.