Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

compressor 4.5.3 doesn't have bit-rate or key-frame interval settings in Apple M4V encoder

I no sooner updated to 4.5.3 than I noticed one bug and missing features in the M4V (Apple Devices) preset. The bug was that I couldn't select 1280x720. Well, I could select it, but the output showed 960x540 and the resulting frame size was 960x540.

Next I noticed that there was no longer a setting for the bit rate, or the key frame interval. When I created a 960x540 video, I checked the bit rate, and it was 5Mbps, which is way higher than needed. I need to be able to create small files for my web-site, sometimes.

I already complained to Apple about the bug and loss of features, and I restored Compressor 4.5.2 on my system. I'm just posting because I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who needs the ability to control the bit-rate/file size. The automatic setting seems completely arbitrary (e.g. a video that encodes at 5.4Mbps in 1080p, encodes at 5.0Mbps at 540p).

I've never understood why Apple is so anxious to remove features. There was already a checkbox to use automatic settings, so they aren't doing us any favors by forcing it to automatic.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 2:55 PM

I couldn't reproduce the first part of the problem. I had a 4K file and used Apple Devices HD Best set to Up to 1280x720, and 1280x720 was what I got. I suspect they removed the bit rate controls because, as they usually do, they want to control the process and the output for their devices. Got tired of complaints about crappy video on their iPhones. Throw more data at the problem and force them to use it. Besides it will take up more iCloud storage space, maybe push users into the next tier. Of course you can make an MPEG-4 preset to whatever you want and just change the extension to .m4v.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 2:55 PM in response to Douglas Toltzman

I couldn't reproduce the first part of the problem. I had a 4K file and used Apple Devices HD Best set to Up to 1280x720, and 1280x720 was what I got. I suspect they removed the bit rate controls because, as they usually do, they want to control the process and the output for their devices. Got tired of complaints about crappy video on their iPhones. Throw more data at the problem and force them to use it. Besides it will take up more iCloud storage space, maybe push users into the next tier. Of course you can make an MPEG-4 preset to whatever you want and just change the extension to .m4v.

Jun 27, 2021 3:01 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'd love to know how to make an MP4 preset. The only options I've found are the streaming presets and those have their own limitations. I might be missing something. I thought I had to clone an existing preset and just make changes to the settings. I'm not attached to m4v. If anything, it creates confusion when most people expect mp4.

Jun 27, 2021 3:11 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I just reviewed the "prepare for http life streaming" presets, which are the only ones I could find that generate mp4 files, and I found why I don't use them. They only allow a max of 24Khz sampling rate for audio. I'm often starting with 96Khz or 192Khz high quality music files and I'd like to, at least, be able to encode the audio at 44.1Khz. I don't understand why the apple devices presets allow 44.1 or 48Khz but the MP4 only goes up to 24Khz???

I am going to start looking for a basic, quality MP4 compression tool to replace Compressor. I don't like the direction that Apple is trying to take me. Please educate me if I'm missing something. I don't see any way to just create a setting without Apple's limitations.

compressor 4.5.3 doesn't have bit-rate or key-frame interval settings in Apple M4V encoder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.