Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using an Apple Card online

My online purchases are generally on my Mac - and if I'm using the Apple Card on a Mac, is it true that I have to use the actual credit card #, not device card#, so it's no more secure than other credit cards? (unlike one of mine which generates a one-time # for online purhcases)

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 3:55 PM

Difficulties are often encountered because many overseas POS terminals are EMV-only (no mag strip) AND they often require a PIN.

If it’s an unattended POS (e.g. toll booth / ticket machine) a US cardholder can find himself in a real bind.

I’ve not tried my AppleCard overseas.

I personally carry a “fully compatable” (EMV + PIN) ccard when out of the country.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 3:55 PM in response to Allen Baum

Difficulties are often encountered because many overseas POS terminals are EMV-only (no mag strip) AND they often require a PIN.

If it’s an unattended POS (e.g. toll booth / ticket machine) a US cardholder can find himself in a real bind.

I’ve not tried my AppleCard overseas.

I personally carry a “fully compatable” (EMV + PIN) ccard when out of the country.

Jun 27, 2021 4:50 PM in response to Chattanoogan

The PIN is any 4 digit number with the Apple Card. I’ve used it many times overseas using 0000 or 1111 without an issue.

If you're asked for a PIN

Apple Cash doesn't require a PIN because every payment is authenticated by Face ID, Touch ID, or a secure passcode.

If you're prompted by a terminal to enter a PIN to complete a debit transaction, enter a four-digit code, like 0000.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207883

Jun 27, 2021 3:05 PM in response to Allen Baum

Hi, here’s an article that goes over the basics of the numbers associated with your card and some of the security aspects of the card.

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-card-titanium-different-number-apple-pay-2019-8

If you have additional questions after reading the article, please post back and I can explain the security measures in more detail and link to more technical articles for you.

Jun 27, 2021 3:23 PM in response to Allen Baum

If your mac has TouchID, you can setup ApplePay much as on your phone.

However, using your “16-Digit” number on “legacy” card-not-present sites still carries risk.

(Note too that the physical card also still contains a mag-strip which brings it’s own risks of compromise)

However, the risk is minimized in that even if the “legacy” number is compromised in a “card not present” transaction… you can still use your device and physical cards.

Of note, iOS 15 has announced a “dynamic number” feature; presumably to reduce the risk of CNP compromise risk even further.

Jun 27, 2021 3:22 PM in response to Jeff Donald

So, the difference is it walls off physical card, Apple Pay, and online payments.

But, all online payments use the same number- unlike (one of ) my existing cards which will generate a different number for each online transaction (or so they claim).

it’s no less secure than any of the other cards (for online purchases, anyway).

If I have to hand a card to someone and they can copy the number- Apple Card

protects against copying.

if its used with a card reader, and that has one of those spoofed reader that records the transaction, maybe not a help ( assuming they can create a card with the same number it recorded, unclear if that is easily doable)

Jun 27, 2021 3:46 PM in response to Allen Baum

Hi, using the mag stripe is the least secure way to use a credit card.

The skimmers that are used most frequently at gas stations present an issue for any card. You can request a new Apple Card number in your Wallet App after every sale. I use gas station apps on my iPhone. This eliminates the security risk of the physical card use, gives me the 2% return and also gas station rewards. It’s even 3% at Exxon/Mobile stations.

using an Apple Card online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.