Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Backup Password Help

I bought the new IPhone 12 today, I previously had the X. The night before, I did a backup of my phone to my macbook. When trying to restore this backup to my new IPhone, it is asking for a password. I don't have my old IPhone since I traded it in, and I've tried every password I can think of. I spoke with someone from Apple Support and they were of no help. The issue is I never created a password for this backup, and I backed up my previous IPhone in the same way with no problem. What the **** do I do? This is infuriating since I've lost work contacts that will be difficult to acquire again

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 7:18 PM

If you forgot the encrypted password there is nothing you can do to restore that backup, sorry. This article explains the options:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 27, 2021 8:01 PM in response to PaigeMN

PaigeMN Said:

"Iphone Backup Password Help: [...]The issue is I never created a password for this backup, and I backed up my previous IPhone in the same way with no problem. What the [...] do I do? This is infuriating since I've lost work contacts that will be difficult to acquire again"

-------

What to Do:

Learn from this --- the next time you get a new iPhone, make a backup of the current one, and make note of the password. Keep a handwritten, hardcopy of the password, and store it in a location that only your are aware of, and only you have access to.

Jun 27, 2021 8:40 PM in response to PaigeMN

PaigeMN Said:

"Hi, thank you for your reply, but the problem is that I never created a password for the backup in the first place"

-------

Ask the Seller:

Is it a used iPhone you purchased? Did you purchase this from someone other than Apple? If so, take it up with the seller.

A Returned Item, Perhaps?:

I've read on here plenty of times of a retuned item that was never disassociated from an account, and they had to go through lots of steps with Apple. So, maybe it is a returned item? Ask Apple.

Iphone Backup Password Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.