Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro bricked

2017 macbook pro just crapped out after 24 hours on charger with screen open. Machine acted like no power - would not charge, screen would not light. No noise. Could not do any of the resets of SMC or NVRAM. Just dead. Tried charging for more time with screen closed - did not help. Made appointment to have machine looked at today, and guess what...

Left machine open for 48 hours with no power attached. Seems that while machine did not get hot and screen was dark and silent, something drained the battery. Then plugged in and machine came back to life. Apple store thinks I had bad power adaptor but I tried three different adaptors that all worked fine in other family MBP's of same generation.

Only other notable fact is that my wife had a HooToo USB adaptor attached while machine was running. Its possible something related to the USB adaptor caused the problem. I had similar issues with older Macs that were resolved by removing and then reattaching battery. This seemed similar, though battery removal from 2017 MBP not readily possible.

Thoughts anyone? Bottom line is machine back to life and I wanted to share experience.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 2:46 PM

pgershon wrote:

2017 macbook pro just crapped out after 24 hours on charger with screen open. Machine acted like no power - would not charge, screen would not light. No noise. Could not do any of the resets of SMC or NVRAM. Just dead. Tried charging for more time with screen closed - did not help. Made appointment to have machine looked at today, and guess what...

Left machine open for 48 hours with no power attached. Seems that while machine did not get hot and screen was dark and silent, something drained the battery. Then plugged in and machine came back to life. Apple store thinks I had bad power adaptor but I tried three different adaptors that all worked fine in other family MBP's of same generation.

Only other notable fact is that my wife had a HooToo USB adaptor attached while machine was running. Its possible something related to the USB adaptor caused the problem. I had similar issues with older Macs that were resolved by removing and then reattaching battery. This seemed similar, though battery removal from 2017 MBP not readily possible.

Thoughts anyone? Bottom line is machine back to life and I wanted to share experience.

If your Mac battery status is “Not Charging”

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-battery-status-is-not-charging-mh20876/11.0/mac/11.0

If your Mac battery won’t charge

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-battery-wont-charge-mh29198/mac

If the battery in your 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro won't charge past 1%—

The battery health status on these devices will also indicate "Service Recommended."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163

See if you qualify:

15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Solid-State Drive Service Program

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Battery Replacement Program

Apple AC Wall Plug Adapter Recall Program

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2021 2:46 PM in response to pgershon

pgershon wrote:

If your Mac battery status is “Not Charging”

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-battery-status-is-not-charging-mh20876/11.0/mac/11.0

If your Mac battery won’t charge

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-battery-wont-charge-mh29198/mac

If the battery in your 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro won't charge past 1%—

The battery health status on these devices will also indicate "Service Recommended."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163

See if you qualify:

15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Solid-State Drive Service Program

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Battery Replacement Program

Apple AC Wall Plug Adapter Recall Program

Jun 28, 2021 2:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the responses but none of this applies. When the MBP was affected, the screen was only dark. So no way to know if it had power or not. But battery was charged fully before it crapped out (it was plugged in). And battery had drained to zero when the machine came back to life. Battery charges fine now.

One other thing, this MBP had been running 10.15.17. It is now updated to latest 11.4 and works fine.

Jun 28, 2021 3:11 PM in response to pgershon

pgershon wrote:

Thanks for the responses but none of this applies. When the MBP was affected, the screen was only dark. So no way to know if it had power or not. But battery was charged fully before it crapped out (it was plugged in). And battery had drained to zero when the machine came back to life. Battery charges fine now.

One other thing, this MBP had been running 10.15.17. It is now updated to latest 11.4 and works fine.

So your issue has been resolved...(?)

Jun 28, 2021 3:14 PM in response to leroydouglas

Yes - but it would be good to know the cause and I'd like to be able to help people with similar issues. The fix was to drain the power to zero and then charge. But the machine was a complete brick for over 48 hours. Thought something had fried.

What causes a MBP to act dead for days, perhaps restored by draining battery to zero (it was restored and battery was zero when it came back to life - do not know if correlation reflects causation

macbook pro bricked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.