Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default page keeps popping up as Yahoo! when it's suppose to be Google.

what does it mean when your default page keeps popping up as yahoo when its suppose to be google. I had an older Macbook that did the samething. I had that old Macbook from 2012 -2020, I have a new MacBook but im getting some of the same issues my older Mac hand, I feel like it has to do with my cloud or something to do with the old Mac I had an it just got carried over to this Mac (know it may sound ridiculous). my bf and I got the laptops at the same time but his doesn't give half the trouble mine does, he streams sites for basketball, I stay away from fraudulent sites that would potentially mess with my laptop but still nothing. haven't found a diagnostic, just have to keep using the same method to get my web to stop rerouting my searches to yahoo. which is clearing my history or deleting extension apps over an over again

HELP? :(

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 9:22 PM

Shauneeeeee Said:

"virus??: what does it mean when your default page keeps popping up as yahoo when its suppose to be google.: [...]just have to keep using the same method to get my web to stop rerouting my searches to yahoo. which is clearing my history or deleting extension apps over an over again"

-------

What to Do:

It's nothing of a virus. It's just arrogance on Yahoo's part. So, try the following:

A. Backup your Mac:

Where to Start: Now that you have a new Maccreate a Time Machine backup of your Mac  prior to making any major change to is (i.e. macOS changes), so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong from here on out. Important: Be certain you back up your Mac, prior to restoring in the future.

Once Backed Up:

B. Use MalwareBytes for Mac: This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstallMalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

C. Try a New User:

Create a new Administrator user, seeing if you get this error. If not, then it is something misconfigured in the current user. So, what you would do is transfer everything over to the new user, and then trash this current user.

D. Clear the history, but this time in Safe Mode:

If so, Boot into Safe Mode and then Clear your Temporary Internet Files of Safari:

1. Booting into Safe Mode: [hold down shift upon boot until the login screen appears]. See if this is still an issue. Safe Mode lets items run as default, without changes whatsoever. That is possible because caches of your macOS are temporarily disabled while in Safe Mode
  2. Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari: Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2021 9:22 PM in response to Shauneeeeee

Shauneeeeee Said:

"virus??: what does it mean when your default page keeps popping up as yahoo when its suppose to be google.: [...]just have to keep using the same method to get my web to stop rerouting my searches to yahoo. which is clearing my history or deleting extension apps over an over again"

-------

What to Do:

It's nothing of a virus. It's just arrogance on Yahoo's part. So, try the following:

A. Backup your Mac:

Where to Start: Now that you have a new Maccreate a Time Machine backup of your Mac  prior to making any major change to is (i.e. macOS changes), so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong from here on out. Important: Be certain you back up your Mac, prior to restoring in the future.

Once Backed Up:

B. Use MalwareBytes for Mac: This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstallMalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

C. Try a New User:

Create a new Administrator user, seeing if you get this error. If not, then it is something misconfigured in the current user. So, what you would do is transfer everything over to the new user, and then trash this current user.

D. Clear the history, but this time in Safe Mode:

If so, Boot into Safe Mode and then Clear your Temporary Internet Files of Safari:

1. Booting into Safe Mode: [hold down shift upon boot until the login screen appears]. See if this is still an issue. Safe Mode lets items run as default, without changes whatsoever. That is possible because caches of your macOS are temporarily disabled while in Safe Mode
  2. Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari: Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

Default page keeps popping up as Yahoo! when it's suppose to be Google.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.