Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud storage for photos...or anything that matter- what's the point? Redundancy?

What's the point of having icloud storage for photos? When you delete a photo off your phone, then it deletes it off the cloud as well..what's the point? The whole reason I want cloud storage is so I'm not having the files locally -- this is just duplicating storage resources as far as I'm concerned.

Is there any way to fix this? I'm not interested in "work-arounds", because eventually I will forget about the work-around, and end up losing everything.

Should I use a another storage platform, and not pay for Apple's?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 12:50 PM

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. It is designed to sync all of your devices where it is turned on and iCloud. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. This allows full-size originals to be stored on iCloud while smaller space-saving optimized copies are stored on device(s) if space is needed. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. Any other changes (edits or deletions) will also be synced.

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2021 12:50 PM in response to kapritch

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. It is designed to sync all of your devices where it is turned on and iCloud. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. This allows full-size originals to be stored on iCloud while smaller space-saving optimized copies are stored on device(s) if space is needed. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. Any other changes (edits or deletions) will also be synced.

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Icloud storage for photos...or anything that matter- what's the point? Redundancy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.