Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Upgrade to OS Big Sur from OS Yosmite X 10.10.5

I try to upgrade from OS Yosmite X 10.10.5 on my Macbook Pro (Mid 2014) to OS Big Sur and when I press 'get' it comes up with: 'The server gave an error during download: 500 Internal Server Error. Internal Server Error.'

How can I upgrade to a newer software? My app store doesn't ever show any updates available.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 10:20 PM

jemma73 Said:

"Cannot Upgrade to OS Big Sur from OS Yosmite X 10.10.5: I try to upgrade from OS Yosmite X 10.10.5 on my Macbook Pro (Mid 2014) to OS Big Sur and when I press 'get' it comes up with: 'The server gave an error during download: 500 Internal Server Error. Internal Server Error.' How can I upgrade to a newer software? My app store doesn't ever show any updates available."

-------

About that Error:

That error (500 Internal Error) is all about your device not being able to communicate with Apple's servers. So, try creating a new administrator user, and see if it them works. If of no success, then boot into Safe Mode (By holding down the shift key upon boot), seeing if it them works. If an available option for you, try connecting to you router hardwired (through use of an Ethernet cable).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2021 10:20 PM in response to jemma73

jemma73 Said:

"Cannot Upgrade to OS Big Sur from OS Yosmite X 10.10.5: I try to upgrade from OS Yosmite X 10.10.5 on my Macbook Pro (Mid 2014) to OS Big Sur and when I press 'get' it comes up with: 'The server gave an error during download: 500 Internal Server Error. Internal Server Error.' How can I upgrade to a newer software? My app store doesn't ever show any updates available."

-------

About that Error:

That error (500 Internal Error) is all about your device not being able to communicate with Apple's servers. So, try creating a new administrator user, and see if it them works. If of no success, then boot into Safe Mode (By holding down the shift key upon boot), seeing if it them works. If an available option for you, try connecting to you router hardwired (through use of an Ethernet cable).

Jul 3, 2021 6:51 AM in response to jemma73

Strongly suggest upgrading to at least High Sierra as it will better position the computer for the eventual leap to Big Sur. Reason, the internal drive is back to HFS and running Yosemite. The direct upgrade to Big Sur requires the drive already be converted from HFS to APFS before it will install. Big Sur, from reading on these ASC Forums, is not offering the conversion. High Sierra just may offer during the installation to do exactly that - convert HFS to APFS.

How to get old versions of macOS  - Use Only Safari as Others may not work.

Cannot Upgrade to OS Big Sur from OS Yosmite X 10.10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.