Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files missing from "Documents" folder

Hello all,

I recently checked my "Documents" folder on my Desktop. It used to house hundreds of documents and files and these files all appear to be missing. There is one folder left within the "Documents" folder but even that does not contain much of anything. It does not appear my computer is compromised in any other way. Unfortunately, I have no been using Time Machine and these files were on iCloud, but I cannot locate them anywhere. I tried turning off the sharing with iCloud feature through system preferences but this did not work. I tried using Stellar Data Recovery to find these missing files, and it did find many of them, but many still remain lost. I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.17. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 8:47 AM

Hello anb1985,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are missing files on your Mac that should have been stored in iCloud.

We’d be happy to help you!

We’d recommend referring to Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

for steps to see if you have an “iCloud Drive (Archive)” folder that would have been created if iCloud drive was turned off.

You can also follow the steps in Recover deleted files on iCloud.com to see if your documents are listed there.

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2021 8:47 AM in response to anb1985

Hello anb1985,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are missing files on your Mac that should have been stored in iCloud.

We’d be happy to help you!

We’d recommend referring to Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

for steps to see if you have an “iCloud Drive (Archive)” folder that would have been created if iCloud drive was turned off.

You can also follow the steps in Recover deleted files on iCloud.com to see if your documents are listed there.

Take care.

Files missing from "Documents" folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.