Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Mac Pro 2010 Graphics Card

I want to upgrade my Mac Pro Mid 2010 to 10.14 but it won’t, I believe this is because it has an ATI Radeon HD5770 graphics card, is it possible to upgrade the card in this machine? I need 10.14 to be able to use Adobe Audition which requires at least 10.14. Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 10:01 AM

Yes. As a starting point see Apple's GPU recommendations. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

If you need a boot screen on power up look for Mac Edition cards, otherwise any PC variant of those cards should work without a bootscreen.

Most Keplar cards (GTX 600 series) also work without a bootscreen.

2 replies

Jul 1, 2021 10:51 AM in response to padams35

Yes, padams has some good suggestions. The “go to” card is the RX-580( sapphire pulse 8 GB) . Either a Mac-native or Mac-flashed card will work fine. . With the Pixlas Mod ( which isn’t super hard to do, but if you do decide to do it, you’ll have to wait longer for the special power cable to arrive… as covid has affected shipping worldwide) .. you can use beefier more power-hungry cards, eg the 5700 xt+ Nitro. He also makes a good point about Kepler nvidia cards which are Metal supported. Is it possible? Very much so ! You may also wish to check out the forums on macrumors.com for some helpful stuff

good luck

john b

Upgrade Mac Pro 2010 Graphics Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.