Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages can be visible to the Chinese government if a text a Chinese?

Will my iMessages be visible to the Chinese government if I am texting a Chinese friend?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 9:12 PM

Hello YCYCY,

This is the general security details of iMessage messages. The short answer is no but your friend would want to take additional steps to maintain privacy and not rely on iMessage alone. Many encrypted messaging platforms have been blocked there and some believe iMessage/FaceTime may be next on the list.

iMessage security overview - Apple Support

You most likely will not find anything specific to China from Apple about this but if you research you will find information from the international media and international watchdog groups.

Good luck. I hope this is helpful for you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2021 9:12 PM in response to YCYCY

Hello YCYCY,

This is the general security details of iMessage messages. The short answer is no but your friend would want to take additional steps to maintain privacy and not rely on iMessage alone. Many encrypted messaging platforms have been blocked there and some believe iMessage/FaceTime may be next on the list.

iMessage security overview - Apple Support

You most likely will not find anything specific to China from Apple about this but if you research you will find information from the international media and international watchdog groups.

Good luck. I hope this is helpful for you.

iMessages can be visible to the Chinese government if a text a Chinese?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.