Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro Stuck on white screen after Progress Bar Screen half way

MacBook Pro 15-inch early 2011 HS OS.

I didn't upgrade any software or drivers, was just restarting my Mac and all this started.

I've run the hardware diagnostic and returned zero errors, I've also done the extended test, also no error.

I've tried all the startup combination keys, everything starts OK, the login screen comes up, i enter my credentials, and halfway through the progress bar, the white screen comes up and that it.

I've tried the internet recovery hard-wired to the modem, the spinning earth comes up, then moves to next screen, but again jump into the white screen again.

I've tried the USB installer, also white screen.

in Verbose mode, I see some errors and notices.

• com.apple.nlcd <error> The ServiceIPC key is no longer respected.
  • com.apple.ocspd <notice> This key does not do anything: OnDemand
  • com.apple.opendirectoryd <error> The HopefullyExitLast key is no longer respected.
  • com.apple.opendirectoryd <notice> this service is defined to be constantly running and is ..
  • com.apple.ReportCrash.DirectoryService <error> The DrainMessagesOnCrash key is not...

and even more of those!

but the most critical i saw is the Error:

Failed to bootstap path: path = /Library

appreciate the help and TIA

Mo.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 4:38 PM

See if you can boot into Safe Mode.

Unfortunately your laptop is known to have GPU issues. Sometimes it is possible to force the laptop to use the Intel GPU instead by using the app gfxCardStatus (assuming you can boot into Safe Mode) or you will need to use Single User Mode or a Linux boot disk to configure the NVRAM to use the Intel GPU using these instructions:

http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/

Another possibility is you have a bad hard drive (especially if you are still using the original drive). Unfortunately the diagnostics don't catch many drive failures, but I can provide instructions to check the health of the drive by creating and using a Linux boot disk. A Linux boot disk may also tell us if the laptop has any other hardware issues such as a bad GPU. Let me know if you are interested in these instructions.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2021 4:38 PM in response to MO_ABDUL

See if you can boot into Safe Mode.

Unfortunately your laptop is known to have GPU issues. Sometimes it is possible to force the laptop to use the Intel GPU instead by using the app gfxCardStatus (assuming you can boot into Safe Mode) or you will need to use Single User Mode or a Linux boot disk to configure the NVRAM to use the Intel GPU using these instructions:

http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/

Another possibility is you have a bad hard drive (especially if you are still using the original drive). Unfortunately the diagnostics don't catch many drive failures, but I can provide instructions to check the health of the drive by creating and using a Linux boot disk. A Linux boot disk may also tell us if the laptop has any other hardware issues such as a bad GPU. Let me know if you are interested in these instructions.

Jul 1, 2021 5:28 PM in response to HWTech

HWTech :) thats amazing!!!

the machine is back to life, can't believe it :) thanks a lot

i did use the below steps as per the link you provided, and it solved the issue:

- First, ensure your machine is completely shut down (You can press Control + Option + Shift + Power keys to reset the SMC).

- Now, boot your machine while holding the Command + S keys. As the system boots, it should display white text on a black screen, and should eventually stop at a prompt.

- At this prompt, enter the following command and press Return:  nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

- Next, enter reboot, and press Return.

- Immediately after running the reboot command, hold down Command + R (if you're running OS X 10.11 or later) to boot into Recovery Mode. If you don't have a Recovery Partition, you can boot from a Mac OS installer USB drive.

- Once booted in Recovery Mode, open Terminal, and run the following command: csrutil disable

- Reboot the system.

- Once the system reboots, it should now successfully boot into your install of OS X. Now, you'll need to download the program found here.

- Run the program, follow the prompts, and enter your password when prompted.

- Once the tool finishes running, your system should now run without the dedicated graphics, and should work completely normally

Macbook pro Stuck on white screen after Progress Bar Screen half way

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.